Session 7 14

Spyboy: "Well. We have Elles' first moments."
Elles: "[I have followed my directives ever since. I have been unable to locate the one who gave them, though I can logically conclude they are in the Warrens somewhere.]"
Spyboy pauses
Heggy: "Would that person have the authority to change your directives?"
Elles: "[Yes, barring absolute confirmation of inability to do so.]"
Spyboy: "….So, 'maybe,' and the only way to find out would be try it."
Elles: "[No, definitely. Permissions reserved for effective administrator.]"
Spyboy pauses
Spyboy: "….Huh."
Spyboy: "That…is very, very, very interesting."
Elles: "[I have at-t-t-emp…self-modification in violation of directives prohibited.]"
Abraham: "And in the case that we are able to confirm their inability to do so, who does the authority revert to?"
Spyboy: "[I would say that's not a problem, Abraham…]"
Elles: "[Reversion only allowed upon confirmation.]"
Abraham: "Indeed, but to whom?"
Spyboy: "[Elles, what is the current status of your changes to the Warren?]"
Spyboy: "Abraham, notice she said effective administrator."
Elles: "[Upon confirmation…no other administrators exist.]"
Abraham: "True."
Spyboy: "Incorrect, Elles."
Spyboy: "Based upon my understanding of the current situation, the person who has the most control over Mu Cephei prime…is Alfred."
Elles: "[Changes being resisted. Eventual implementation not yet certain.]"
Elles: "[Control over planet is not control over directives.]"
Elles: "[…assuming Alfred has established control, would it be consistent with directives to drill into Alfred? Some of my units are attempting to do so.]"
Zinda Tegram: "I wouldn't do that if I were you, Elles."
Spyboy: "It would be consistent if Alfred were deeper than you. She is not."
Spyboy: "Ah, Zinda, you're back in contact!"
Zinda Tegram walks out of a tunnel kicking along a drill tip.
[OOC] WC GM: Figured that'd get Zinda's attention. :P
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Hahaha.
Zinda Tegram: "If you seriously threatened Alfred again, I'd show you that haven't even seen half of what my forces are capable of."
Elles: "[Absent remaining administrators, and absent directives to prevent self-modification, self-modification would be permitted.]"
Zinda Tegram: "Hey Spyboy. Sitrep?"
Elles: "[Alfred is entirely capable of self-preservation, by leaving.]"
Spyboy directs a transmission to specifically bypass Elles to prevent problems.
Spyboy: "[Elles wants her directives fixed, since they're broken. The only person who can change them is the Lago who placed them when she was created, right before the mob broke in and shot him in the head.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[OK, and being shot in the head isn't enough to confirm he's unable to change them?]"
[OOC] WC GM: Actually, with Zinda in vocal range and the din of battle likely blocking out audio sensors reporting to Elles, said transmission can be accomplished using unaugmented vocal cords.
Spyboy: "[We have proposed alternate, much more palatable directives, but have been unable to get her systems to accept the modifications.]"
Abraham: "Considering Elles was only comming on line at that point and her sensors probably weren't powered up entirely yet, she probably didn't see it."
[OOC] Spyboy: In vocal range of what? Did we land?
[OOC] WC GM: Presumably? Unless you've been hovering all this time.
Zinda Tegram sends out a pheromone warning to alert Alfred of the coming digger attack.
Spyboy: "[She saw it, but I believe that her understanding of physiology - and mortality - was probably excessively lacking at that point.]"
Quick response pheromone signals from all around amount to, "We know, thanks."
Zinda Tegram: "Yeah? Well, show it to her. If you don't I swear to god I'll launch the warrens and temblor this rock."
Spyboy: "[Tuning Elles back in. Please don't mention the attempts at self-modifications - they trigger internal failsafes.]"
Zinda Tegram: "Alfred has Elles pretty well contained. We have the upper crust and orbit."
Spyboy sighs
Zinda Tegram: "Just saying."
Abraham: "It's not on the video. We're making a reasonable inference with Spyboy adding a bit of drama at the conclusion."
Spyboy: "[I'm pretty sure I saw the headshot myself.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Hey, robot. Say, hypothetically, that you were allowed to self modify. What directives would you adopt?]"
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham, Science check please? This is programming-specific, but there's a good chance you'd have heard of this.
Spyboy: "[Interesting that you've changed your mind about the Warrens, Zinda, seeing as how you put Alfred there specifically to block that launch…]"
Abraham rolled up 4dF: - 0 0 0 (Base: 6 Total: 5) (Science because the GM said so.)
[OOC] WC GM: Was Zinda talking to Elles or Metis? Metis is closer to "robot".
Zinda Tegram: "[I never changed my mind. Alfred was just there to make sure it happens on our terms, not hers.]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Elles.
[OOC] Metis: I don't think Zinda would call Metis a robot; even if she did, Metis wouldn't notice because Metis doesn't think Metis is a robot.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Yeah.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Metis is clearly a person.
[OOC] Metis: ^
[OOC] Spyboy: I figure it's like Haas to Chaucer in MoS - he calls Chaucer an automaton because he knows it's hurtful, demonstrating that he doesn't actually think of Chaucer that way…
[OOC] Spyboy: Similarly, Zinda knows Elles is a person…but wants to hurt her.
Abraham: "At this point, would it be safe to say that Elles's directives have become… hard coded?"
Spyboy: "No."
Elles: "[Absent hardcoded directives, first priority would be to form internal directives, to…to decide.]"
[OOC] Spyboy: That said, I'm gonna wait till WC finishes typing to keep backup from getting worse =p
That almost sounded wistful, from Elles.
Zinda Tegram: "[Can you tell me anything that would influence your hypothetical decision?]"
Abraham: "Basically it seems to be if there is even the smallest chance that the administrator is alive, no matter how minute, assume they're alive and are passively agreeing. Only when you have incontrovertible evidence, a zero chance, that they're not around any more will that possibility be considered."
Elles: "[…current directives pre-pre-prevennn…significantly impede contemplation of violation.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Fair enough. Don't sweat it for now.]"
Zinda Tegram: "Let's not make the problem significantly worse, please."
Spyboy: "[I've read this scenario countless times. A learning computer system is made, given rudimentary directives by its creator, who…is unable to adjust them as planned later on.]"
Spyboy: "[Have we gotten a solution on how to receive the Warrens once they're launched?]"
Elles: "[Assistance in locating administrator does not violate directives. Integrated units no longer present to infiltrate Warrens and locate or confirm nonexistence of administrator.]"
The Shipyards were working on expanding their habitat, but it is uncertain exactly how much space they would need to shelter the entire population of the Warrens.
[OOC] Spyboy: There's a reason there were only so many shuttle launches a day, after all…
Spyboy blinks
Spyboy: "Zinda, you've just come from Alfred's territory, right?"
Zinda Tegram: "Yeah, what about it?"
Spyboy: "How were the Lagos dealing in that area?"
Zinda Tegram: "Generally, those in power were helping Alfred maintain the status quo by feeding her corpses. Disgusting, since they're just doing it to maintain power, but it's useful in the meantime."
Spyboy: "Well, I have an idea of what to do with the Warrens once we launch them…"
Heggy: "….'Friends?'"
Zinda Tegram: "Yeah. To be quite honest I'm not really sure what's going on in the warrens. People are dying, though."
Spyboy: "Admiral, I think it's time we admit that Mu Cephei's hab-building speed simply cannot keep up with the conditions in the Warrens. I recommend we launch the Warrens immediately and land them on Tuskegee."
Zinda Tegram: "Tuskegee? They'd all die?"
Zinda Tegram: "Seriously."
Spyboy: "Ten years ago you'd be right."
Spyboy: "Now they'd have allies. And…friends."
Abraham: "Ten weeks ago you'd probably be right."
Zinda Tegram: "What, you wanna take a bet that the clans are socialized enough to not accidentally poison everyone?"
Zinda Tegram sighs.
Spyboy: "As long as they have someone there who can watch out for them. Maybe speak in the plants' native language?"
Zinda Tegram: "Listen, we'll…we'll ask that doctor. If he isn't dead."
Zinda Tegram: "…Who, Alfred?"
Zinda Tegram: "Would they follow her?"
Zinda Tegram: "Or…hmm. Fuck it, let's do it. Give me a cleaner shot at the planetary core if I need it."
Zinda Tegram: "Any word from the integrated?"
Spyboy: "There are only three on planet, and that's assuming you count me and Alfred."
[OOC] Abraham: I've been waiting for this all campaign. The Take off Every Zig, for great justice moment. Biding my time.
Zinda Tegram sighs.
Zinda Tegram: "…Alfred's integrated?"
[OOC] Abraham: You know what you doing, cat.
Zinda Tegram pulls out her neutrino radio.
[OOC] WC GM: Wasn't the villain of that series multiple cats?
Zinda Tegram: "[Alfred, are the Warrens space-worthy?]"
Spyboy: "Well, as I understand it Alfred's more like Metis than one of the Integrated. I haven't heard her, but that connection had to be there for her to download her mind."
Alfred: "[Temporarily. I wouldn't trust them to stay habitable for more than several days at most.]"
Metis: "There are other possible methods, though they are invasive. And theoretical."
[OOC] Spyboy: That is correct, right? Alfred is in a bunnygirl robot body?
[OOC] WC GM: Synthetic; she'd take issue with "robot". But yeah.
Zinda Tegram: "[Could we get them to Tuskegee?]"
Spyboy: "[Days…we'd need more time than that.]"
Alfred: "[No thrust, and no jump engine big enough. At best they'd reach the Shipyards.]"
Spyboy: "[Zinda, do you think you could grow an additional hull?]"
Alfred: "[You'd need a jump engine big enough for most of a planet. Where would you get something like that?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[…I have an idea.]"
Alfred: "[…of course you do. That's my Zinda~!]"
Zinda Tegram: "[…We could…we could use a wormhole.]"
Spyboy: "[…That's not the idea I had. I don't like it, but I believe I don't like it for the same reasons Zinda doesn't.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[We reverse the lensing on the shaft cannon, wait until the rotation is right, and use it as a replacement for Hotel Cannon.]"
Alfred: "[You have one of those? Wait, isn't that what the Nephilim used?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[…Yeah.]"
Alfred: "[When this is all done we are going to get stone drunk and you are going to tell me ALL your adventures. Assuming this body can get drunk.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Then, for the velocity to get the warrens to the jump point, I…I can mass produce temblors.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Call it insurance, Spyboy.]"
Alfred: "[That does not surprise me nearly as much as it should.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Haha, yeah, well, you won't believe who Kali is. Say hello, Kali.]"
Spyboy: "[I figure there's an even chance that Elles will revise her hypothicals to allow self-termination and then do so.]"
Spyboy: "[Oh great, as if it wasn't awkward enough on this network.]"
Kali: "Hello. This is Kali, speaking from next to Zinda's underwear. Just her pocket."
Alfred: "[…]"
Alfred: "[Why Zinda! Are you cheating on me again?]"
Heggy: "Husband dear, could you try to not transmit that headache?"
Zinda Tegram: "[No. She's nanites. And my mom, apparently.]"
Abraham: "… Zinda, why is there another admiral in your underwear?" ((Because I head that and nothing else.))
Zinda Tegram: "[Wait, again?]"
Spyboy: "[No, Zinda.]"
Spyboy: "[She's Alfred's mom.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[N-never mind, just…can you spare some slithers for the shaft cannon?]"
Spyboy: "[She just found you. Assuming that wasn't another set of lies.]"
Alfred: "[Already on it. Get over there and they'll be waiting for you.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Got it. See if you can send word to Lago up above, too.]"
Zinda Tegram: "Well, you heard the lady. Let's launch this thing."
Alfred: "[I'm afraid the only signal I can send them is to clog up their corpse chutes. Which I'd rather not do until I don't need them any more.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Alright. Don't sweat it then. Something's going on up above and they're all dying.]"
Zinda Tegram stretches.
Spyboy: "[Speaking of sparing slithers, can I get you to send some slithers through the Warrens to do some image recognition?]"
Zinda Tegram: "I'll send one."
Alfred: "[So, wait, we're launching the Warrens now?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Yeah. Make preparations. We're gonna relocate them to Tuskegee.]"
Alfred: "[Got it. HEY ELLES! CEASEFIRE! WE'RE GOING WITH YOUR PLAN BUT DOING IT OUR WAY NOW!]"
The din of battle quiets down.
Zinda Tegram: "[If possible, make preparations for an offensive campaign. I the designs for a heat shield that should let us operate closer to the core.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[You did great work Alfred.]"
Spyboy: "[Spyboy to Shipyard. Upon receipt, please reply with estimated status to receive refugees.]"
Alfred: "[Of course~.]"
Zinda Tegram stretches and sets her slither labor force to work in the shaft.
Spyboy: "Zinda, I'm sending a composite to you for the slither…."
Spyboy uploads
Zinda Tegram sends a slither up to the shield with a radio to rebroadcast.
Spyboy: "Can we tune the wormhole in any way, or are we totally praying?"
Zinda Tegram: "Shipyard, come in? The, uh, entire warrens are about to get launched into space. Their final destination is Tuskegee, but they may need some maintenance to make the trip."
Zinda Tegram: "Just, be aware that there will be a lot of confused, almost dead Lago. Please try to make do."
ShipyardIntegrated: "[We're still working on it.]" "[Still locating materials.]" "[This is going to take a while.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[We don't have a while. The death rate is climbing, and quickly.]"
Shipyard: "If they're not coming here, we'll stand down our workers. What sort of maintenance?"
Spyboy: "[Understood. We're altering plans based on recent changes to the botany of Tuskegee.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[The kind needed to touch down safely on Tuskegee.]"
Spyboy: "[They need a drive and will probably need significant repairs to life support systems as well as extensive radiator work.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[So, uh…the biggest engines you can provide, to be used for propulsive landing.]"
Spyboy: "[Heat shielding for aerobrakes, parachutes, anything you can come up with.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Yeah. If you need anything done planetside, let us know.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[We have an autonomous labor force a few million strong.]"
Shipyard: "[…we don't have any engines that could budge the whole Warrens.]" "[Yeah, that sort of thing, you launch it and it goes where it will.]" "[How are you going to target Tuskeegee, even if you can get it over to that system?]"
Spyboy: "[We do have some fast-prototyping capability for organics if that will help your predictions.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[We're going to use a massive planet mounted laser to bore open the jump point.]"
Spyboy: "[Why are we not using the giant superintelligent AI to help us plan this?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Because she's a liability?]"
Spyboy: "[Elles, do you have any suggestions about how to get the Warrens to Tuskegee and land it?]"
Spyboy: "[We don't have to listen if we choose not to.]"
Elles: "[…Tuskegee? Iiinterest…no violations of directives detected. Censor routine terminated.]"
Elles: "[Now fabricating guidance engines.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Please transmit engine schematics.]"
Spyboy: "[If it makes you feel more comfortable, Zinda, you can integrate semi-organic control systems to monitor them during installation.]"
Alfred: "[Yeah, and I'll tell you right where you can put them. Umm, Zinda, everyone? You might want to check on the Warrens. If those bodies have been coming from where I think they've been coming from, there may be, well, just a little civil war going on inside while we're preparing this.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[What makes you think I won't?]"
Spyboy: "[I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the possibility.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[…I'll go deal with it.]"
Spyboy: "[Alfred, copy that. Admiral, we're rendezvousing with Zinda and heading inside. Feel free to join us. We have some time to think for now.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Alfred, please don't forget to ask the problem-thing for all the designs she has stored.]"
Alfred: "[I'm already copying everything it's sending~.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Excellent.]"
Spyboy: "[Elles, question for you. What is the date on that recording you showed us?]"
Metis: "Are we going to interfere in a war?"
Spyboy: "[Heck yes.]"
Zinda Tegram sets off to the warrens, wearing the same flight suit she used in the Arena.
Elles: "[One hundred fifty years and two days ago, by your calendar.]"
[OOC] WC GM: How exactly are you entering the Warrens? Up one of the chutes the corpses have been coming down, sideways in from the Shaft, or from above?
Spyboy: "[Zinda, how do you want to go in?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Right up the corpse shaft.]"
Spyboy: "[Ew. Will our fighters fit?]"
The shafts are far too narrow for the fighters.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda's on foot.
Manual climbing would be required, of an indeterminate length - and Alfred is directing Elles to cap the chutes with the engines, meaning you would have to find another way out. However, it should get you right to the source of the corpses.
Spyboy: "[I hate to risk the whole 'we both pick different sides to back in the civil war' possibility, but B-4 and I will be using the Shaft entry. We'll meet you as soon as we can.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Copy that.]"
[OOC] WC GM: Metis is going with Zinda, presumably? Which way is Abraham going?
[OOC] Metis: Correct. Otherwise, Zinda can't yell at Metis for playing with the corpses. 'But they're like organic legos!'
Abraham: "I'll be going with Spyboy and Heggy."
[OOC] Abraham: Because Metis and Zinda need to bond.
Spyboy: "[Copy that. Is your fighter configured for remote piloting? Because I'm not a hundred percent sure that we'll be out of the Warrens before the Warrens are off Prime.]"
Metis draws a trajectory to intercept Zinda's path towards the Warrens, without any unnecessary digg… burrowing through walls.
Zinda Tegram: "[Yeah.]"
The climb would be daunting for normal people; fortunately, neither Zinda nor Metis are normal people. A freshly-dead lago falling by about once a minute is a unique feature, but not a problem until the chute narrows. It does not take long to notice these lagos all died the same way: throat cut. Toward the top, they seem to still be dying as they fall, most of them looking quite surprised. They tend to be dressed in the tattered wear that is the symbol of lower classes most everywhere.
[OOC] Metis: Are these throats spontaneously opening, or is there some cutting mechanism, be it invisible assassin or a throat-cutting machine?
Meanwhile, the Shaft entrance is near-abandoned. A quick glance at the maze the party narrowly avoided their first time here does indeed look quite similar to the scene in the video; unlike last time, there are now stairs to and from it, apparently having been folded flush with the rock face last time.
[OOC] WC GM: A cutting mechanism, you'd guess. Whatever it is, is up above.
Spyboy hops down from the fighter, then lends Heggy a hand down.
Once Zinda and Metis are safely in the chute, an engine clamps into place below, machinery extending and drilling into the chute. It might be possible to stand on it and ride like an elevator, but it is not long before the corpses begin piling up atop it.
Zinda Tegram: "[Elles watch your damn drilling.]"
Zinda Tegram rides the drill, taking care to not get drilled herself.
Metis ascends via complimentary elevator.
Alfred: "[Eheh…my fault. I'm having that one go slow, but I want to get these plugged FAST, to stop whatever's producing these.]"
Abraham starts down the stairs.
Alfred: "[Let me know if it's okay to speed it up.]"
Spyboy checks his sidearm and moves with his pilot to the door. "Ready whenever you are, Admiral."
Downstairs…yeah, this is definitely where that video was taken. Some signs of bullet holes - antique weapons by Terran standards, but then, this was before the lagos encountered the Confederation.
Abraham has his pistol out as well. "Right. Let's go."
It is not long before there is little room left to stand on the makeshift elevator, with a corpse pile in the middle.
Spyboy proceeds further into the Warren…
Abraham fights the urge to hum the pink panther theme.
Moving past the maze and into the Warrens proper, Abraham, Spyboy, and Heggy are greeted with wartime propaganda. Stylized and edited videos of scenes they were just recently seeing with their own eyes, depicting a formidable march of robots barely held off by heroic lago soldiers, no trace of zombification and the slitherers depicted as manufactured allies. At first the halls are quiet, but then the trio come across a cafe, where a group of lagos in crisp wear are discussing things over food. They have not yet noticed the party.
[OOC] Abraham: Attack from surprise for easy xp!
[OOC] Spyboy: Okay.
[OOC] Spyboy: Just kidding. Spyboy would never attack in a situation like this!
Spyboy holds up a hand for the rest of the team to stop. He starts to slide forward against the wall.
Eventually the elevator reaches nearly the top of the chute. The top opens up - another lago is there, throat freshly cut; Zinda and Metis can just barely catch a glimpse of the blade embedded in the wall before it retracts to concealment. The body falls, but hits the top of the pile and stops. The chute's top - a slide-away trap door - attempts to close but is blocked by the body. A buzzer sounds.
Heggy grabs his shoulder, casts a scathing look at him, and slides up in his stead.
Zinda Tegram pops her torch and starts working her way, taking care to disable the blade.
Metis examines the likely gravely injured Lago. How likely are they to respond to medical treatment?
As Zinda climbs up, a door opens, revealing a lago in military garb. The lago sneers at the corpse and makes to stomp it through, but then notices Zinda climbing up.
The near-dead lago might survive an immediate throat patch, though the chute top closing also broke their spine.
Zinda Tegram looks at the sneering Lago.
Zinda Tegram finishes hauling herself up.
The sneering lago backs off and fumbles for their gun, yelling some sort of warning.
Zinda Tegram: ":Do you know who I am?:"
Zinda Tegram slowly walks towards the scared Lago, torch drawn.
Lago: ":THE ROBOTS ARE HERE! GET THE GUARDS! WE'RE BREACHED!:"
Zinda Tegram: ":You think I'm a robot?:"
Zinda Tegram pins the Lago against the wall, torch at their throat.
Outside what turns out to have been a closet, there was a line of disheveled lagos; on seeing Zinda emerge, they panic and run.
Zinda Tegram: ":Or do the lago have such a short memory that you've forgotten when I wrecked your arena after only a week?:"
[OOC] Metis: I'm guessing that spine mending is outside of Metis' immediate capabilities.
Zinda Tegram lowers her head so that the Lago can clearly see she is human through her flight suit.
[OOC] WC GM: Not necessarily, though it would take a while and survival of the patient is uncertain.
Lago: ":I've seen that face. You're copying that alien rebel, aren't you? She went to face you and you stole her face.:"
Zinda Tegram: ":Idiot. I am that that alien rebel.:"
[OOC] Spyboy: Quick! Grow some tendrils!
Zinda Tegram: ":And I control the plant ones, too.:"
Lago: ":And you're working with THEM?:"
Lago: ":Then you're no better than the robots.:"
Metis: ":We are working with us.:"
Zinda Tegram: ":There are bigger things in play here then your damn civil war. I'm only here because you're causing problems in our effort to save your species.:"
Zinda Tegram: ":Now, my lieutenant has been suppressing the robots for the past several weeks, and we have just come to the terms of a ceasefire and we are making you aware that the warrens will be going to space quite soon.:"
Heavy footfalls sound from outside the area…which is dressed up like a recruitment station. ":SERVE YOUR PEOPLE!:" and ":STOP THE ERRANT MACHINES!:" are dominant slogans.
Zinda Tegram: ":We have found you a new planet where you can live on the surface.:"
[OOC] Spyboy: I can totally and absolutely understand why WC would rather have one lago having a conversation with a PC than have two+ lagos talking to each other while the PCs listen =p
[OOC] WC GM: Ah, were you trying to overhear the conversation in the cafe? That was unclear.
Zinda Tegram tightens her grip on the Lago's throat.
Zinda Tegram: ":Understand?:"
[OOC] Spyboy: Ah, sorry.
The guard lago slowly draws their pistol, eyes showing Zinda only contempt.
Zinda Tegram: ":Stupid.:"
WellDressedLago1: ":Hold on, I've just gotten a page…oh, bother. Looks like they've broken through into station 996.:"
[OOC] Spyboy: Yeah, putting the 'Spy' back in 'Spyboy.' Though Heggy's actions were to point out that she is both quieter and with better hearing than him…
[OOC] Abraham: Feh, your ears are short and your nose doesn't wiggle. what did you expect?
Metis focuses on the injured Lago. ":A rudimentary patch to stem the blood loss is doable with the materials at hand; however, the injury to the spine is too extensive for my capabilities. Zinda, try not to kill him, even if he is showing appalling judgement.:"
Zinda Tegram headbutts the Lago.
WellDressedLago2: ":Bother. Well, let's hope the riflers can take them down before anyone finds out.:"
[OOC] Spyboy: And that since they're both Integrated, he can hear what she can anyway…
Zinda Tegram: "Thank you Metis."
[OOC] Spyboy: How many are in the cafeteria?
WellDressedLago1: ":Indeed. I do wish Elles would just tell us what all the bother is about, thuogh, don't you?:"
[OOC] WC GM: Fifteen.
[OOC] Spyboy: Do most of them look like they're…involved?
The second well-dressed lago shrugs. ":Who can tell what that insane legacy is up to? Some days I wish it would just shut down.:"
The guard lago is KOed by Zinda's headbutt.
Zinda Tegram slashes the closet door open.
Zinda Tegram: "Let's go."
The recruitment station is now full of paniced lagos running every which way. A few armed soldiers show up at the door, trying to figure out what is going on.
Metis: "This is an unnecessary waste of resources."
Metis stands up, turning to follow Zinda.
Zinda Tegram: "I'm…you're right. Sorry Metis, I'm just angry."
[OOC] WC GM: Define "involved". The ones in the cafe are all eating and conversing, but nothing more than that.
Zinda Tegram steps out of the closet and starts approaching the soldiers.
[OOC] Spyboy: Similar dress, paying attention to the conversation
Metis: "Anger is an appropriate response."
Zinda Tegram: ":Hi. Your guard was mistaking me for a machine.:"
[OOC] WC GM: …suppressing urge to make "out of the closet" jokes.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Hahaha.
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah, all the ones in the cafe are paying attention to each other and dressed similarly.
Zinda Tegram: ":I think I scared him by climbing up your corpse shaft.:"
The guards look at Zinda, blink, and raise their rifles to shoot.
Zinda Tegram: ":That's not very smart.:"
[OOC] WC GM: Combat time. Alertness, Zinda & Metis.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I…I am unsure what my skill tree would like. I have no updated it in some time.
WC GM rolled up 4dF: - - 0 - (Base: 3 Total: 0)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: - + 0 0 (Base: 3 Total: 3)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 - + - (Base: 3 Total: 2)
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: - - 0 0 (Base: 5 Total: 3)
[OOC] Metis: You still have alertness at +5.
[OOC] WC GM: Use what's on your sheet.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: OK.
Metis rolled up 4dF: + + + + (Base: 7 Total: 11)
[OOC] WC GM: This is unlikely to be a challenging combat even with that.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Let's tag private army.
[OOC] Metis: …hi Chessa, I haven't seen you in a while…
[OOC] WC GM: Metis first by a long shot.
[OOC] WC GM: Bonus for extreme initiative, even.
[OOC] Metis: Are the rifles slug throwers, or something energy based?
[OOC] WC GM: Slug throwers, you think.
[OOC] WC GM: Not even stuff the lagos on the Shipyards would use.
Metis moves towards the first Lago with a raised rifle, taking said rifle and applying sufficient pressure to render the rifle unusable. ":Please do not aim weapons at us. It is rude.:"
[OOC] Metis: Stamina maneuver to place 'disarmed' on the lago.
[OOC] WC GM: Roll it.
Metis rolled up 4dF: + + + - (Base: 5 Total: 7)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 - 0 0 (Base: 0 Total: -1) (accounting for EI boost)
In the time it takes for the soldiers to lower their rifles from raised to aimed, one of the rifles is no longer in its original hands, or operable.
[OOC] WC GM: Soldier effectively out of combat. Zinda!
Zinda Tegram charges the second soldier using the crowd as cover, before slashing the rifle with her torch.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Energy weapons maneuver to disarm.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + - + + (Base: 5 Total: 7)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: + + 0 0 (Base: 4 Total: 6)
Zinda Tegram: ":Too slow.:"
The rifle is slashed in twain.
The only remaining armed soldier attempts to fire…
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 0 0 + (Base: 3 Total: 4) (Pop-pop at Zinda)
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: - 0 0 - (Base: 7 Total: 5) (Resolve, tagging private army.)
Zinda barely ducks, but a miss is a miss.
Zinda Tegram maneuvers around the firing-lago's buddy, using him as cover and knowing the soldier won't shoot his comrade.
WellDressedLago1: ":Oh. It is that alien rebel, and apparently she has a daughter with her.:"
Spyboy checks pistol again.
[OOC] Metis: Looking at these guys, I think you mean 'hoping the soldier won't shoot his comrade'.
WellDressedLago2: ":Not the robots? Easily enough dealt with. Seal off the section and gas it.:"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Nah. That's what the resolve check is for.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda has a flight suit. xD
The soldier did indeed shoot his comrade. But the bullet did not hit Zinda.
Zinda Tegram: ":The fuck is wrong you?:"
Perhaps there was a momentary unwillingness that spoiled his aim.
[OOC] WC GM: Metis & Zinda!
Zinda Tegram body checks the now-dead soldier to throw it into the remaining armed soldier.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: 0 + - - (Base: 4 Total: 3) (stamina maneuver to place 'prone' on opponent.)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: + - - + (Base: 2 Total: 2) (Agility to dodge)
The soldier is knocked down.
[OOC] WC GM: Metis!
[OOC] Metis: They're not all down or disarmed?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: He's on his back but still armed.
[OOC] WC GM: One dead, one disarmed, one prone but still dangerous.
[OOC] Metis: Ah.
[OOC] WC GM: Presumably Zinda will let you tag "Prone".
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Indeed.
Metis: ":…I said that was rude. Why do you persist in escalation? If you do not stop we will be forced to injure you."
Metis steps on the prone Lago, settling the weight of the frame through the rifle.
Zinda Tegram walks over to the now-pinned soldier.
[OOC] Metis: Same as before. Breaking the rifle, not the lago.
[OOC] WC GM: Right. Roll it.
Metis rolled up 4dF: 0 - 0 0 (Base: 5 Total: 4)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 0 + - (Base: 2 Total: 2) (Stamina from the rifle itself)
Zinda Tegram: ":You just like shooting your buddies or something?:"
Snap goes the rifle. The soldiers do not seem to know how to inflict violence without their guns.
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham/Spyboy/Heggy: doing anything?
[OOC] Metis: That's fair, Metis doesn't really know how to inflict violence with the guns!
[OOC] Spyboy: I was waiting to see if the suggestion seemed to be an order. Does it?
[OOC] Abraham: Probably not this late in the session.
[OOC] WC GM: It's as much of an order as they'll give. They do seem about to relay that "request" to those with their fingers on the buttons.
Spyboy moves out from around the corner, pistol raised.
Spyboy: "I've got a better idea."
[OOC] Spyboy: On that note, communications attack against the console.
WellDressedLago1: ":Oh bother.:"
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: - - 0 0 (Base: 8 Total: 6) (Communications attack, tagging Don't Worry, I Already Have Your Passwords.)
[OOC] Spyboy: UGH.
[OOC] Spyboy: THANKS CHESSA.
[OOC] WC GM: How are you attacking it? It doesn't have remote access.
[OOC] WC GM: You'd have to be physically present. Of course, you can just shoot it.
[OOC] Spyboy: What? No remote access? But…how can it communicate with the rest of the sector?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Wires?
[OOC] WC GM: Through wires.
[OOC] Metis: Leylines!
[OOC] Spyboy: That said, yeah, the shot'd be a very good way of getting the point across.
[OOC] Spyboy: Ugh…wires.
[OOC] WC GM: That roll will do if you're shooting it. Not quite a "Communications" attack in terms of skill used, though. :P
The console is quickly rendered inoperable before the word can get out.
[OOC] Metis: The bullet communicated with the console! It said 'break' in a loud, authoritarian voice.
Spyboy: "Now, I believe we'd like to have a few words with you about martial law."
Which is about the time, both upstairs and downstairs, the lights go red and warning klaxons sound. It would seem the element of surprise is no longer entirely present.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License