Session 5 5

Isabel has not yet arrived when Abraham's XO's voice chimes in over the intercom. "…sir? We have a situation on the Shipyards."
ExecutiveOfficer: "It's not clear, but the lagos are apparently upset over what they think is going to happen to the Warrens."
ExecutiveOfficer: "We're getting reports of riots."
Abraham sighs and rises from his seat. If Isabel engineered this as a distraction…
ExecutiveOfficer: "Your orders?"
Abraham: "On my way to the Bridge. Abraham out."
Integrated: "[…help? They've misheard, and now they won't hear.]"
Abraham: "Spyboy, what is the integrated take on this?"
Spyboy: "They say that the unintegrated misunderstood what they were saying, and aren't interested in listening any more."
[OOC] Abraham: Spyboy was ((going to)) be with me during the interrogation, yes?
Abraham: "What exactly did they say?"
Spyboy: "Um. 'They've misheard, and now they won't hear.' …also 'help.'"
Abraham: "I meant to the unintegrated."
[OOC] Abraham: (While Spyboy susses that out, BRB
Spyboy: "Ah. That'll be a bit harder to track down, I'm afraid - information doesn't propagate across the unintegrated as well, but I'll see what I can find out."
Spyboy: "[Do you remember what you said to them?]"
Multiple, not entirely coordinated responses come back.
Integrated: "[We told them Elles was getting rid of the Warrens/the Warrens weren't going to be a problem/Elles was gonna blast the Warrens off Prime/we get to play catch!]"
Spyboy: "Ugh."
[OOC] Abraham: Back
Abraham: "That bad huh?"
Spyboy: "I don't think they picked what they said to have the worst impact, but I have to wonder."
Spyboy: "They told the unIntegrated that Elles was getting rid of the Warrens."
Spyboy: "And the Elles was gonna blast the Warrens off Prime."
Abraham: "… Not the /best/ choice of words. Okay, rioting seems almost logical at that point."
[OOC] Abraham: This is a running conversation as we make our way to the bridge.
Abraham: "Okay, any riots on the Roland I should know about?"
[OOC] WC GM: The bridge is not that far away. You get there when you wish/when narratively convenient.
[OOC] Ingenue: These ones that are happening right now.
The Roland itself seems remarkably calm, even if the scent of all those lagos pressed in is still being filtered out.
[OOC] Abraham: The Roland is vast, but it is not quite big enough to have it's own shipyards, which is where the riots I was told about are taking place.
[OOC] WC GM: Quite.
Every crewmember Abraham and Spyboy pass - lago, human, and otherwise - seems nothing but professional.
[OOC] Abraham: They all professional /assassins/ sent to hunt Isabel down.
[OOC] Spyboy: Huh, never considered that the Roland could have lago crewmen. Makes sense, though.
Abraham and Spyboy arrive on the bridge. "Ask the shipyards to patch me through their PA system. I'm going to try to calm them down with logic and reason, peppered with emotional appeals."
[OOC] Abraham: I thought we actually interacted with some crew who were called out to be Lago. Also Heggy.
ExecutiveOfficer: "Already done, sir. Apparently their own higher-ups are, ahem, 'secured' again." He almost spits those last two words.
Abraham: "My goodness, that's an impressive reaction time, if not reaction."
ExecutiveOfficer: "Anyway. You're on, sir."
Abraham addresses the Shipyards. "This is Admiral Abraham Bounty of the Confederacy ship The Roland. Right now several other ships from the Confederacy are en route to help secure the Lago population of Mu Cephei. We conservatively estimate a zero percent casualty rate."
[OOC] Abraham: I have Oratory and I am not afraid to use it.
[OOC] WC GM: Roll it, then.
Abraham: "In the meantime, the proper and normal operations of The Shipyards will be essential to making that estimation a reality. So I ask you. If you are on duty right now, to return to your duties. If you are not on duty, please return to your quarters and stay out of the way of those who are. Your people will thank you for this."
Abraham rolled up 4dF: - - + + (Base: 3 Total: 3) (Oratory)
[OOC] Abraham: What! I expected a -4. Chessa, are you sick?
ExecutiveOfficer: "…doesn't look like most of them even noticed you speaking, sir."
Abraham: "Well, that's demoralizing."
[OOC] Abraham: I am sorely tempted to play jazz at them until they behave.
ExecutiveOfficer: "I hesitate to suggest this, sir, but you may need something to get their attention before you can talk them down."
ExecutiveOfficer: "But the only way I can think of is going out there. With a marine escort, but that might communicate the wrong message."
Heggy smacks Spyboy lightly.
Spyboy looks innocent and says nothing.
Abraham: "No I think you are right. A small… delegation, I almost said force, would be best. Spyboy, Heggy. Dress uniforms please, we have to make a statement. Oh, also you've been volunteered. If you find Isabel, please confine her to quarters. Politely if possible, less so if not."
[OOC] Abraham: The last two sentences were directed back at the XO.
Spyboy: "Copy that, sir."
Abraham goes off to make himself presentable.
Spyboy departs the bridge at the approved carrier rate of run.
[OOC] Abraham: Maneuver to add the aspect "Sharp Dressed Man."
ExecutiveOfficer: "Copy that, sir."
Heggy follows.
[OOC] WC GM: …autosuccess, under the circumstances.
Abraham goes and changes to his Dress Whites.
The carrier rate of run, especially for an officer dealing with a Crisis(TM), is "As Fast As Possible While Letting Everyone Else Dodge" .
[OOC] WC GM: What is Ingenue up to during this?
[OOC] Ingenue: Studying the riot; hey, you don't get to watch a riot very often. Or if you do, you don't need to study them.
[OOC] Ingenue: Also doing back-processor work on 'how to blow up a planet, cause mom asked'.
[OOC] Abraham: BRB again.
Ingenue has - or at least Elles has, and copied these memories to Ingenue - seen riots in the Warrens before. When the lagos tried to organize, to get systematic about evacuating everyone. Most of the efforts fell apart, but they did at least get the evacuation rate up to what it was some months ago. Before Chandley, not that that affected Prime.
[OOC] Abraham: Back
Meanwhile, at an increasingly deep layer of Prime…
Elles: "Iiinteresting. Unfortunate. It seems word of my plans has been misreceived."
[OOC] Abraham: Increasingly deep? The planet is growing?
[OOC] WC GM: Where Zinda's forces are building.
[OOC] Ingenue: No, just getting deeper.
Spyboy arrives at the hangar, Dress Whites on, with computer diagnostics already running on the Admiral's Skiff. He's walking around, taking a look at everything. Heggy follows, doing her own preflight.
Abraham arrives a moment later, putting on his cap. "Spyboy, Heggy, everything ready?"
[OOC] WC GM: The Roland is docked. You can just walk out. Or is that just a meeting point?
[OOC] Abraham: Ah. Then it's just a meeting point, because we're too lazy to redo a perfectly good scene.
[OOC] Spyboy: I wasn't sure if it was docked.
[OOC] Spyboy: So I did a mental coin flip between preflighting the shuttle and going to the forward airlock.
[OOC] WC GM: Proceeding when you're ready.
Spyboy slides his hand up the back of his dress jacket, tapping his energy pistol with the back of his hand.
Spyboy: "Good to go, sir. We'll be able to get a shuttle full of marines anywhere we need them in about ninety seconds, assuming we do."
Abraham: "Good, though I hope that will not be necessary. I can't see that not biting us later. Well then. Let's do this."
Abraham opens the airlock and walks out. Not /quite/ a strut, but you can see the line from where he's walking.
The area immediately around the Roland is not yet subject to riots. That may have something to do with it being the highest concentration of still-operative guns present.
But they are trivial to track by sound - over there, in the residential areas, near the tubes leading to the command area though there don't seem to be any serious efforts to push through the security personnel.
Heggy reaches out to the side, grabs Spyboy's hand, and puts it in a deathgrip.
[OOC] Abraham: What are we hearing? Fires? Breaking glass? Nuclear equipped walking battle tanks?
[OOC] WC GM: Loud shouts, mainly.
Abraham: "Okay, it doesn't sound too bad yet. Maybe we can nip this bud before it blossoms."
Abraham: "Move out."
Abraham moves out.
Spyboy: "[Hey, we're at the docking corridor to Bay 3. If you feel safe mingling in the crowds, we could use some help to respond to oratory.]"
Spyboy follows, Heggy keeping in step well enough that it's not apparent that they're indulging in a massive 'public display of affection' violation.
[OOC] Abraham: Nice. What' the opposite of a provocateur?
[OOC] WC GM: Pacifier?
[OOC] Spyboy: convocateour
[OOC] WC GM: Was Spyboy's comment only to Ingenue, or the Integrated in general?
[OOC] Spyboy: Integrated in general.
Integrated: "[How can we help?]"
[OOC] Spyboy: Basically attempting to set up 'ringers' as a Scene aspect to boost Honest Abe's Oratory.
[OOC] Abraham: I would imagine that Zinda would have… words… with me if I allowed Ingenue to wander around in a riot zone.
Spyboy: "[Just respond when he speaks. Be there, be listening, so that the people around you will listen, too.]"
[OOC] WC GM: Cultures/Tech, but an easy check.
[OOC] Ingenue: It would definitely damage the whole 'keep the ai a secret' thing we are doing so well on…
[OOC] Abraham: I am suddenly glad that Abraham is clean-shaven, and wearing an admiral's cap rather than a stovepipe hat.
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: - + - 0 (Base: 3 Total: 2) (C/T to get the Integrated to back Abe's play)
[OOC] Abraham: I can't imagine they're resisting that hard…
Integrated: "[Sure, we can do that!]"
[OOC] WC GM: The difficulty was 1, so pass.
[OOC] WC GM: But Chessa will be Chessa.
Spyboy murmurs towards Abraham, "I've got some people headed into the crowd to help them listen."
Abraham: "Nice. Seeding the crowd is always handy when dealing with an unresponsive audience."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: xD
Spyboy scans the crowd.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda has a lot of words for a lot of people.
Said audience is soon found: there are many pockets of protestors. Addressing them all at once is going to be a challenge - as will be getting their attention.
[OOC] Abraham: You should try IRC. It's a place for chatty people.
[OOC] Spyboy: /me sets mode +m
Abraham: "One thing I've found. Kilrathi, Lago, Terran, well, maybe not Neph but with them who can tell, but they all have an instinctive appreciation for audacity."
Abraham: "Okay, is there a way I can access the PA system from here?"
The XO pipes up via Abraham's radio. "I've wired the PA to your handset, sir. I don't know what you're trying, but I figured you'd want mobile access."
Abraham: "I do indeed, thank you for your forethought."
Abraham: "I am very glad I don't get stage fright easily."
ExecutiveOfficer: "So am I."
Abraham accesses the PA system from his handset and launches into an a Capella rendition of Mood Indigo. This ought to get their attention through sheer WTFery if nothing else.
[OOC] Abraham: roll it?
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah. Feel free to tag both aspects.
Abraham rolled up 4dF: 0 + 0 0 (Base: 4 Total: 5) (Jazz man. It's all Jazz.)
[OOC] Abraham: CHESSA'S DYING!
[OOC] Abraham: Tagging Sharp Dressed man and Seeded Audience.
That does get their attention. The shouts die down as lagos look up, wondering where the music is coming from.
Abraham wishes he had his piano. He'd have them all sitting on the ground bawling their eyes out.
Abraham then gives the same speech as he did before, but this time he's ready for a Q&A session since the seeded integrated can forward questions they hear in the crowd to him.
Most of the lagos' responses are incoherent, but a few come out clear - if only for repetition: "How are they going to breathe?" "There aren't that many ships!" "Why can't they just stay on Prime until we have enough space?"
[OOC] Abraham: And BRB while I think up some answers.
[OOC] Abraham: Back
Abraham: "Now you are probably wondering how they're going to breath. In fact, I know at least one of you is wondering that since I just heard someone voice that concern. The quick answer is pressure suits. This is not going to be a surprise launch and there is more than enough time for them to suit up and brace themselves. A slightly longer answer is that there are a great many personal…
Abraham: …spacecraft on Mu Cephei, and while I would hesitate to lead them in battle, they are at least space-worthy. "
One lago yells out, "Have you SEEN them? Most of them don't even know about vacuum, let alone suits and spaceships! Besides, there aren't enough for all the Warrens!"
Abraham: "Another concern I heard is that there aren't enough ships. Well, I tell you true, the Confederacy indeed does not have enough ships near enough by for every Lago on Mu Cephei, but I remind you of the thriving shipwright community on Mu Cephei."
Abraham: "Between the two groups, there should be more than enough room to hold everyone, at least temporarily."
Lago: "WHAT shipwright community? If they had one they'd be off planet by now!"
[OOC] Spyboy: "HE SAID I TELL YOU TRUE! STOP ACCUSING HIM OF LYING!"
Abraham: "Now some of you are questioning the suitability of hobby shipwright communities' ships. In fact, I have seen them. But I did not see them on Mu Cephei. When I saw them, they had already made an interstellar journey. So yes, I feel that these, amateurish though they might be, ships will be suitable for the very temporary circumstances."
[OOC] Abraham: Have I missed any?
[OOC] WC GM: The ones that came up in response.
Abraham: "Please understand that the Confederacy is *not* rescuing the Lago of Mu Cephei. We simply do not have enough ships near by to do so. What we are doing is helping the Lago of Mu Cephei rescue *themselves*."
Lago: "Rescue from what? And why right now?"
Spyboy: "Spoken like someone who's never visited the lower levels of the Warrens."
Spyboy: "It's terrible down there. Piles of corpses. Not enough food."
[OOC] Abraham: Does Spyboy's voice carries over the communicator?
[OOC] WC GM: It does if he's speaking into Abraham's communicator.
Abraham: "I realize that this sounds incredibly condescending, but in a very real sense we are rescuing the Lagos, quite literally from themselves. Overpopulation in the Warrens is killing them."
Spyboy would rather relay that through an Integrated lago, actually - targeting the questioner.
An Integrated near the questioner gladly puppets Spyboy's response word for word, even trying to mimic his voice.
Lago: "But there aren't enough suits, and most of them don't know how to use them."
Lago: "Are they going to gum up their own corpses to make an airtight hull?"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda has, coincidentally, done that before.
[OOC] Abraham: I always suspected Zinda of being a bunny ears knight.
[OOC] WC GM: Zinda's no lago. :P
[OOC] WC GM: And they have their own knights.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I wonder if her showy display in the arena prompted anything. xD
[OOC] WC GM: Is she going to pop up to Level 3 and try to recruit help?
Abraham: "Are there enough suits you ask? No. There are almost certainly not, at least not unless production was increased a hundred fold from the time I was on Mu Cephei. But right now the Mu Cephei Lagos are working to pressurize areas of the warrens for those who will not have suits."
[OOC] Abraham: I'm going to ignore with great gravity the corpse question.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Heh.
Integrated: "[They are? Elles, are they?]"
[OOC] Abraham: They are now. And they had better have been before.
Elles: "[No. Additional construction crew of unknown composition performing construction. Said construction encouraged to include sealing of Warrens.]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: You could ask Zinda to do it, worst case.
Integrated: "[Additional construction crew?]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Yeah Elles is telling Zinda to do it.
Spyboy, Heggy, and Ingenue get images of Zinda's siltherer army hard at work building…something, and Elles's diggers nudging here and there to make sure it forms a Warrens-wide seal in addition to whatever else it is.
Zinda Tegram: "[Wow, fuck you Elles. Making other people clean up your mess? Typical.]"
Elles: "[Using resources efficiently is a tertiary directive. You are a resource.]"
[OOC] Abraham: I'm a politician, I tell only /retroactive/ truths.
Integrated: "[Those are…ELLES THEY'RE GOING TO EAT THE WARRENS!]"
Zinda Tegram: "[They're mine.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[They're only going to what's already dead.]"
Abraham has dealt with crowds before. Never before has he felt complete silence well up to anger and panic, but he can feel it.
Spyboy and Ingenue can feel it more directly, but for them, it is not silence.
Zinda Tegram: "[The only thing I'm eating right now is the dead bodies that monster lets pile up.]"
Spyboy: "[FOCUS! We can't do anything about her right now, or Elles! We need the shipyard working so we have a place to put the people in the Warrens!]"
Abraham smiles blandly while asking out of the side of his mouth to Spyboy, "What the hell just happened?"
Spyboy murmurs "They just got video footage of Zinda and the slitherers from Elles."
Abraham: "Uh huh. I see. And?"
Spyboy: "Well, what do you think?"
Spyboy looks uncharacteristically grim.
Spyboy: "Zinda has currently crossed the line from sanity. She might be able to get back, but right now what she's doing is both gruesome and crazy, though not unforgivably so."
Integrated: "[Who is this? Who claims to control them, and how?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[This is Zinda. What, you forgotten me already?]"
Integrated: "[…you're weird. You can only talk and hear; we can't feel you.]"
Abraham still speaking out of the side of his mouth. "If this riot blows up again, I am officially blaming Zinda. Just thought you should know."
Spyboy: "Please. I did that when I realized that riots might happen."
Spyboy: "That was hours ago."
Zinda Tegram: "[Yeah, well, I keep it that way for a reason.]"
Abraham nods. Everyone on The Roland has foresight except for him.
Integrated: "[How?]"
[OOC] Abraham: All he's got is a pair of pipes and a cool hat. Which has taken him far, I admit.
Spyboy unencrypts his mental archives of Zinda, enough to give the Lagos an impression without blowing any of his secrets reserves, and offers it to the Lagos. Her bluntness, straightforwardness.
Zinda Tegram: "[How? By not getting chipped in the first place. Integrated aren't the only ones on your network you know.]"
Integrated: "[…you have a speaker for our thoughts?]"
Spyboy: "If she mentions Wenser I'm gonna go to Mu Cephei myself and shoot her."
Abraham: "Flight plan approved.."
Zinda Tegram: "[Heh, why don't you ask your monster-friend in the planetary core there.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Oh, and the nephilim probably run their network on neutrinos, too. Just a headsup, so you know I'm not unique here.]"
Elles: "[She does.]"
Integrated: "[…what.]"
Spyboy and Ingenue feel a sudden flurry of probes, queries seeking out new minds in every direction. Most return nothing.
Abraham not bothering at the side talk anymore. "Okay, half the crowd just went stock still, are they under attack?"
Red alert klaxons begin to blare.
Spyboy: "Focus on the - oh, shit."
Zinda Tegram: "[The nephilim aren't really in the business of talking.]"
Spyboy follows the minds that didn't return 'nothing.'
ExecutiveOfficer: "NEPHILIM FLEET DECLOAKING!"
Spyboy: "MOTHER F-"
Abraham: "Okay, I'm not going to wait anymore. I'm going to blame Zinda for this right now."
Zinda Tegram: "[So try not to do that in the future.]"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License