Session 5 11

There is a data burst - a map of some sorts. Twisting it around soon shows it to be a map of the local cluster, not using the standard projection but morphable to that once the stars are recognized.
Oldziey, Aldrin, and White are highlighted.
Nephilim: "[#Proof is waiting.#]"
Abraham: "At these three stars that are highlighted?"
Nephilim: "[#Yes. Evidence has already gathered there. It awaits your presence.#]"
Abraham: "Interesting. Well then, I shall go and see for myself then."
Abraham: "Is there anything else you need or want to tell me before I go?"
Ingenue: "[#Should the systems be approached in a specific order?#]"
Abraham: "Good question, Metis."
Nephilim: "[#Choose your order. Influence from one to the other will be what you bring or cause.#]"
Zinda Tegram: "Huh…"
Zinda Tegram taps through the data.
Zinda Tegram: "Abraham, we have a deal right?"
Zinda Tegram turns towards the Sterne Lanze and pushes off the nephilim fighter, floating through space to her craft.
[OOC] Abraham: Refresh my memory on the deal?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: You help her with Oldziey, she helps you with other stuff?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: We made it awhile back.
Abraham: "Of course."
Zinda Tegram: "After we take care of the mass murderer down in the core there, I might call in your payment. Since it's not in the way, of course."
Abraham: "Assuming nothing comes up, as it so often does, we'll discuss it back on The Roland."
Abraham: "I think we should head for White first. If nothing else, I've been curious about it for quite some time."
Spyboy: "Also, I think that calling Elles a 'mass murderer' is…."
Zinda Tegram frowns.
Zinda Tegram: "Your call, Abraham."
Zinda Tegram: "I have to get back my operations. I'll be in touch on the neutrino-comm."
Zinda Tegram finally reaches the Sterne Lanze and keys in the open-frame code before climbing in, closing the frame again, and accelerating back to Mu Cephei prime.
The Nephilim fighters cloak, heading to the jump point. No further communications are immediately received from them.
Ingenue stays focused on the Neph frequency, just in case. "White is the logical candidate."
Abraham: "I think so. And not just saying it because it's where I want to go."
Spyboy: "Right now we have to figure out what to do about Elles, though."
Abraham: "Yeah. I would rather not kill her if possible, but I think Zinda has discarded any other possibility. Still, the Lago have to be our priority."
Spyboy: "She has her reasons….they're just….bad reasons."
Abraham: "Unreasoning hate usually is."
[OOC] Ingenue: Where is the Roland currently, in relation to Lago Prime?
[OOC] Abraham: Are we still docked?
[OOC] WC GM: Still docked.
[OOC] Ingenue: Docked at Lago Prime?
[OOC] Spyboy: Docked at the shipyards.
[OOC] WC GM: ^
[OOC] WC GM: The Roland is too large to dock at what few still-intact docking areas are available on Lago Prime.
[OOC] Abraham: BRB
[OOC] WC GM: And crash-landing there is not recommended.
Ingenue: "If you disagree with Zinda's reasons, why are you not mobilizing fighters to retrieve or convince her?"
Spyboy: "Mostly cuz that would make it worse."
Just as Zinda is slipping into high Prime orbit…
Spyboy: "I wouldn't want to see a fight between Crown Squadron and the rest of the Roland's fighter complement…."
[OOC] Abraham: Back
Elles: "Construction complete. Engines powering up. Launch in 5 minutes."
Abraham: "And there's also that to deal with."
Abraham: "Zinda. Where are these 'engines' located? With that we can at least figure out which way Mu Cephei is 'pointed'."
ExecutiveOfficer: "I've been tracking that, sir. If it launches on schedule, and tracking orbital dynamics - well, the Warrens would be coming right for us."
Spyboy: "It'll be pointed at the jump point, at least till it goes through…"
Spyboy: "….home…"
ExecutiveOfficer: "That'll be where Prime's going, if I copy the situation, yes. But the Warrens are a more immediate thr-ah, concern."
Abraham: "Zinda, those engines have to be our main objective, since they will most likely automatically fire now that they're on a countdown with or without Elles."
ExecutiveOfficer: "Not reading any changes on the surface. If I had to guess, I'd say those 'engines' are under the Warrens, and will be used to eject it before accelerating Prime."
Abraham: "Definitely our primary objective. I hope you're feeling up to a little sabotage and general chaos."
[OOC] Abraham: That was at Zinda.
Ingenue: "What method will be used to 'catch' the Warrens?"
Abraham: "Hopefully the method that prevents the Warrens from being tossed in the first place."
ExecutiveOfficer: "I'm not sure that's going to be possible, sir. Not with just Crown Squadron."
Abraham: "Spyboy, feel like lending a hand?"
Ingenue: "Suggest launching all available craft and crew. In the event that the Warrens does impact with the Roland, that will minimize loss of equipment and life."
Abraham: "Agreed. All launch in two minutes."
[OOC] Ingenue: brb
ExecutiveOfficer: "We can get the Roland out of the way easily, sir. The Shipyards aren't so mobile."
ExecutiveOfficer: "Scrambling fighters."
[OOC] Ingenue: back
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Also back.
Abraham: "I know. Which is why I'm really hoping we can stop that engine from firing."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Sorry, roommates needed me.
Ingenue: "Have the Shipyards already started with evacuation?"
Spyboy: "Well, we have three minutes to get to Lagos Prime, get to the very bottom of the Warrens, and stop a super-AI from using its rapid-prototyping army from firing its supervolcanos."
Spyboy: "Respectfully, sir? Not gonna happen. The Warrens are getting launched."
ExecutiveOfficer: "There's not nearly enough capacity to evacuate to."
Zinda Tegram: "The engines are at the bottom of the warrens. Do you need me to buy you some time?"
Abraham: "That would be appreciated."
Spyboy: "Best bet? Zinda grows some engines of her own at the bottom of the Warrens, and puts them into a stable orbit that doesn't hit any of the existing stations."
Spyboy: "That would give us enough time to find somewhere to put the residents…"
[OOC] WC GM: Tactics or Cultures/Tech check if you want.
[OOC] Abraham: Who? Anyone?
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: - - 0 - (Base: 5 Total: 2) (Tactics)
[OOC] Spyboy: I got nuthin
Abraham rolled up 4dF: 0 + - 0 (Base: 3 Total: 3) (Science for Tactics)
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Assuming Zinda is landing…) *As she steps out into the warrens, Zinda mentally nods to her slithers to begin efforts to slow the engine construction, including attacking them if neccesary.
[OOC] WC GM: Anyone.
[OOC] Abraham: I got slightly more.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: 0 + 0 0 (Base: 3 Total: 4) ((Culture/Tech))
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: 0 0 + + (Base: 4 Total: 6) (Tactics)
[OOC] Ingenue: Why is Abraham rolling at a 3 for Science?
[OOC] WC GM: Bumping that up to a 5.
[OOC] Abraham: I forgot we did away with that rule that caps that stunt at 3
Abraham rolled up 4dF: - - 0 + (Base: 5 Total: 4) (Science for Tactics)
[OOC] WC GM: I'll use your earlier roll. 5. :P
Abraham: "So our best plan seems to be sabotage the volcano engines, forcing Elles to miss her launch window. That will give us time to come up with a real evacuation plan."
Ingenue: "Sabotaging the engines will result in uncontrolled lava flow. Given the most recent schematics of the Warrens and surrounding materials in my database, this should result in minimal damage, if any to the Warrens. However, uncontrolled lava flow will increase the amount of time necessary for Elles to prepare another launch. Additionally, there will be unpredictable lava flow which is detrimental to any life-forms nearby."
Spyboy: "Great, so we only have to successfully drill a bunch of holes in a bunch of supervolcanos in….two minutes."
Abraham: "After Zinda sabotages the volcano-engines, she will need to evacuate the Lagos to higher ground within the warrens."
Ingenue: "The Warrens are sufficiently shielded; Zinda will need to evacuate Zinda."
Zinda Tegram: "[What, you think I can't?]"
[OOC] Abraham: This be one ah dem 'rehetorical like' questions?
Ingenue: "[Of course you can. Otherwise I would have advised evacuation prior to thruster-tampering.]"
Zinda Tegram: "[Heh, yeah…thanks. I'll make sure to buy you some ice cream after the op. Hey, Spyboy!]"
[OOC] Abraham: Be careful Spyboy, sounds like she might want to buy you ice cream tool.
Zinda Tegram: "[You think you could whip up a control program for, uh, cordyceps?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[I can probably handle the infections, but, uh, actually making the host do what I need it to might be a problem. Relevant host here is, uh, mining robots. Metis, that's classified.]"
Zinda Tegram pops open the Tzimitche station database and starts looking through for anything resembling machine-organic interfaces.
Spyboy hmms
Spyboy: "I can probably do that, though who knows how long it'll last with…resistance."
Zinda Tegram: "[I can…I can iterate faster than her. I think.]"
Several proposed interface designs are found on a quick database scan, optimized for Tuskegee's plant life forms. It does not seem that research progressed to actually testing them, though.
Zinda Tegram begins production of all of them. (Yikes!)
[OOC] WC GM: Let's see some Science.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: 0 0 + 0 (Base: 5 Total: 6) (Science, fruits of Tzimitche Station.)
[OOC] Abraham: If you link me in, I'll roll as well.
[OOC] WC GM: And Spyboy - pick an appropriate skill for programming
[OOC] Ingenue: Abraham is still near Metis, so he's getting the same information as everyone else.
[OOC] WC GM: Indeed, Abraham can contribute if allowed in.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I'm gonna start leveraging 'highly iterative design' here.
Abraham rolled up 4dF: + 0 0 0 (Base: 5 Total: 6) (Science for Science!)
[OOC] WC GM: Ah - that was over neu-comm. Is Metis repeating the info to Abraham despite Zinda saying it's classified?
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: - + 0 0 (Base: 5 Total: 5) (Communications)
[OOC] Ingenue: Classified doesn't usually mean 'Zinda only', it usually means 'not outside the command group'. Did Zinda want that strict to Zinda-Metis-Spyboy?
WC GM rolled up 4dF: - - - 0 (Base: 4 Total: 1) (Elles counters Science with, what else, Science)
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: She wants it restricted to "not Elles and lagos"
[OOC] Ingenue: Yeah, Abe's in.
[OOC] WC GM: …and with that roll…
[OOC] Abraham: Looks like she countered with climate skepticism.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Oh god I just beat Elles in a science roll.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: By 5 points.
[OOC] Ingenue: Elles hasn't used FP yet. Which it might now.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: …I compel it. "Not too familiar with earth ecology."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Or, really. ecology in general.
[OOC] WC GM: Compel accepted.
[OOC] Ingenue: Nooooooo, Elles has more FP now……
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Yep.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: But, that's fine.
This is a triumph. A notable huge success. The engines are compromised enough that they do not fire for one minute, two, three…and then the launch window has passed. It is obvious from Elles's actions, even without further communication, that the AI has shifted to analysis mode, trying to figure out the pattern of attack that just hit it.
The party has bought about a day to prepare.
Zinda Tegram immediately switches all compromised mining machines to shut down any mechanical wireless receivers, and start digging straight into the core to relieve pressure.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Twist the knife.
They do. The machines do not make it past the inner mantle, but pressure is relieved.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: AND the cordyceps are destroyed.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Helping to prevent analysis, Nephilim style.
[OOC] WC GM: Indeed. So, what now?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I use the sudden loss of mining machines to take Moar corpses.
Abraham: "Okay, that's a bit less than a day. Any chance of us getting enough ships to evacuate the warrens in that time?"
Spyboy: "Not a chance. There's a reason Elles decided that the best way to evacuate the Warrens was to launch the whole thing into orbit."
Zinda Tegram: "[I can use the time to make the thing a bit more spaceworthy.]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I have alot of eyes on the warrens. What could it use to make it so that, uh, we need to do less catching?
Spyboy: "Spaceworthy, technically, isn't the problem. The problem is guidance."
Spyboy: "As a long term habitation, they're also flawed - they rely on geothermal heating and don't have any provision for artificial gravity."
[OOC] Abraham: The warrens needs a chaplain?
Zinda Tegram: "[So, independent power generation for heat, among other things…]"
Abraham: "How long would it take to turn the warrens into a serviceable space craft of sorts?"
Zinda Tegram: "[Tough to tell. I have more production capacity than the mu cephei shipyards down here, the problem is, uh, intrusiveness.]"
Spyboy: "And fuel."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I'm in the shaft, right? What's with the remains of Elles' armada?
[OOC] Spyboy: Didn't they fly to Tunguska?
[OOC] WC GM: The fighters? They all launched. The Roland ferried them to the Shipyards, where they have been converted to additional habitat space.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Yeah, but the industrial base is still down there right?
[OOC] WC GM: Most of it - the part that wasn't incorporated into the fighters.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Well, that should be well within my sphere of influence. So, uh…integrate it into my base I guess.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Assuming I haven't already.
Even with the numbers Zinda's minions have, it takes a couple hours to fully collect and staff the various workstations in the Shaft.
Especially with having to undo the laser modifications.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Awww.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Well, staff what we can. The destruction of the hotel frustrates that plan though.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Let's see…I have the designs for her mining machines, they're probably pretty optimized. Let's, uh, leverage those and try to make them more heat resistant. I want to make a dent on the inner mantle.
Zinda Tegram: "[Hey, LaGOS? What's the best way to dig past the inner mantle?]"
Zinda Tegram: "[You'd probably know.]"
Elles: "Inner mantle is lava. You don't dig through it, you swim."
Zinda Tegram: "[Ooooh, cool. What about the heat though?]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: TY for being socially derp Elles.
[OOC] Ingenue: Probably about 700-1200 degrees C. Depends on mineral composition. Lava's fun!
Elles: "Shield with limited duration exposure. Or be something that can remain that hot. Iii prefer the latter."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Lii?
[OOC] WC GM: Iii. As in "I", extended.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ah.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Because buggy.
[OOC] WC GM: Because Elles.
Zinda Tegram: "[Makes sense. What kind of things remain that hot?]"
Elles: "Carbon compounds - graphene, diiiamond. Boron. Iridium. Platinum." Elles goes on a while, listing elements and alloys.
[OOC] WC GM: http://www.lenntech.com/periodic-chart-elements/melting-point.htm
Elles: "Higher temperatures closer to the core. Shift composition to high-pressure materials, unstable at crustal or lower pressures."
Zinda Tegram: "[Nifty! Could you provide some example designs?]"
Elles: "Transmitting…"
ExecutiveOfficer: "…umm. Sir, you should know that data broadcast was in the clear. I don't think we have any hope of classifying what the planet just transmitted."
ExecutiveOfficer: "At a guess I'd put the designs worth over a billion credits, put together, if they'd been patented by any Terran corporation."
Abraham: "Fortunately, public relations is another department. Just consider it another blow for the public domain."
ExecutiveOfficer: "Yes sir!"
Zinda Tegram begins manufacturing some of her own, for use in the inner parts of Mu Cephei prime.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Did I just do something bad? xD
[OOC] Ingenue: Oh, probably. That's just how life works.
[OOC] WC GM: What else are people doing with the day?
Ingenue: "From an engineering perspective, there are two primary concerns and one lesser concern with making the Warrens space-worthy: Pressurization, and Heat, with Gravity the lesser concern."
Ingenue: "Solar collectors and other power generation sources will serve to provide sufficient heat for life. Perhaps not comfort."
Ingenue: "The Warrens are not a sealed environment; that will be the bulk of engineering required. It remains within our manufacturing capabilities and time allotment."
Ingenue: "If an artificial gravity source is not utilized, after three days, most lifeforms will have passed through Space Adaption Syndrome. Prediction: discomfort, but no loss of life. If the duration of zero-g environment is less than 5 days, all other symptoms should be reversible upon exposure to proper gravity."
Spyboy shall arrange…VISAS. And in other ways get a head start on processing the refugees.
Abraham studies the plans Elles broadcasted in her totally covert manor and tries to figure out temporary habitation for the citizens of the warrens.
[OOC] Ingenue: Wait… Elles has a manor? Zinda, don't destroy the manor.
Spyboy: "More worrisome is that the equipment is probably dependent on gravity. Especially the hydroponics."
Ingenue: "Short-term, it is unlikely to be an issue. Long-term, the detrimental biological effects will outstrip the material effects. Creation or acquisition of an artificial gravity method can be considered within the 3-5 day duration resulting from after launch but before severe biological damage from weightlessness results."
[OOC] Ingenue: Should there be any engineering rolls for doing: the above? Also, Metis will presumably head to the Warrens to start doing Engineering Things. Unless Zinda forbids it. Then Metis will pout.
[OOC] WC GM: You have sufficient time and resources; rolls would be a matter of rerolling until you succeed, and failure at this particular bit is not narratively interesting, so this doesn't seem like a good point for a roll.
[OOC] Ingenue: Got it.
Ingenue: "Admiral, I will need the services of a fighter to proceed into the Warrens to assist Zinda with preparations."
Abraham: "Didn't you crash the last plane you flew?"
Ingenue: "I did not say I would pilot the fighter."
Abraham: "All right then, I'll have one of the pilots ferry you down to Zinda."
Ingenue: "Besides. The Lanze was still flight-worthy. Hardly a crash."
Ingenue: "More of a…. bump. Yes. A small bump."
Abraham: "I think Zinda would disagree."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Heehee!
[OOC] Ingenue: That's probably the Log End bait.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License