Session 4 5

[OOC] Abraham: It's time to de-spense, some indiscriminate deforestation!
The last volley of trees was shot down. The plants appear to be retaliating with a nuch larger volume of fire, in response to Zinda's destruction of one of the tree fortress. The next volley is primed to launch…
[OOC] WC GM: Reactions?
[OOC] Ingenue: Are the aspects placed last session still in play?
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Did anyone bring any Round-Up?
[OOC] Abraham: I think they're Round-Up Ready. If this isn't Monsanto, I would be very surprised.
Zinda Tegram circles the burning tree fort to try and spot Speaker.
[OOC] WC GM: Any since Zinda started shooting up the tree fortress are still good.
Abraham: "Anti-missile batteries. Can they be shot down?"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: They shot at us first.
Fortunately, this tree fortress did not have Speaker.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I even gave them most of a session to stop shooting. Wait, I thought it did earlier.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Speaker was communicating with it, and gave it the tree rocket plans.
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah - what-you-think-was-Speaker was in one of the other three.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I thought it was the one I shot, but OK.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Then again I went for the one we thought was shooting rockets at us.
Ingenue scans the incoming volley. While of larger volume, there are holes within any artillery barrage. ((Alertness to place aspect: "Bombardment vectors analyzed" ))
[OOC] WC GM: No. After you'd located that one, you then went to "one of the fortresses that reacted to her more sluggishly earlier."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ah. NVM then. Memory's bad.
[OOC] WC GM: The one you just destroyed is the one that shot rockets at the Roland.
[OOC] WC GM: Ingenue: roll it.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: OK. Long as that's solid.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: 0 + + + (Base: 6 Total: 9) ((placing aspect: Bombardment vectors analyzed))
Zinda Tegram pulls up and gets ready to shoot some rockets down. If they fire.
Ingenue: "[….this location is not the target.]"
[OOC] Abraham: Since placing this aspect is almost certainly unopposed, and Ingenue's skill is higher than 4, was a roll necessary?
[OOC] Ingenue: It was a safe barometer to test Chessa's mood.
[OOC] WC GM: It was non-obvious, though only a very bad roll would have had a problem.
[OOC] WC GM: I.e., difficulty > 0.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: What happened to you, Chessa?
[OOC] WC GM: Anyway, anyone going to respond?
[OOC] Abraham: Chessa's gone feral. More feral, I mean.
Abraham: "Where is the target?"
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Wasn't that neutrino?
[OOC] WC GM: Does Abraham have the neu-comm?
[OOC] Abraham: Wait… that's neutrino-talk, ain't it? -that
Ingenue: "Beyond us. Sensors indicate it is a different tree fortress."
Zinda Tegram: "Really? They should know better…"
[OOC] WC GM: Or just - the neu-comm note and make it regular speech?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Prolly shouldn't retaliate to this one. :\
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Since they don't really seem to 'get it'
[OOC] Ingenue: Yes, that was new chat. So, technically, Abe couldn't hear. Which makes Nue's last statement a non-sequitur and should prompt some 'what?'s.
[OOC] WC GM: Retaliation would be difficult. You've already destroyed the launcher.
Sure enough, the trees rocket forth - and clear over the Roland, at worst dropping some leaves and needles on the carrier.
This is easily deflected.
Abraham: "I have to wonder what the long-term effects of the tree missiles will have on the ecosystem. I would love a decade or so to study that."
Many of the trees are shot down by their target, but not all - and soon enough, there only remain two tree-fortresses.
Alexander Morello: "Sorry Admiral, I think that would violate some ethical guidelines."
Ingenue: "If the carrier is not repaired then there will be enough time for a proper ecological analysis."
Abraham: "Every silver lining has a cloud I suppose."
Abraham: "So they missed us? Or did they prioritize a different target?"
Alexander Morello: "That's a pretty big margin for a miss…"
Zinda Tegram: "Should I shoot the rockets down anyways?"
Abraham: "I have to assume that the tree's guidance system is rudimentary at best."
Zinda Tegram: "If they're targeting another tree fort, it might be helpful for us to, uh, shoot them down. Goodwill and all."
Spyboy Pearson: "Are they making another shot, or was that their last gasp?"
Alexander Morello: "Or maybe we should try and stay in the relative good graces of the better armed tree…"
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + - 0 - (Base: 5 Total: 4) (Pilot to place "In position to intercept" on self.)
[OOC] Abraham: fudge 6;to place 'BRB' on self.
Ingenue: "Judging from their previous volley, if they wished to target this location it was well within their capabilities. It seems this was a deliberate decision, if such a process can be assigned to botanical life."
[OOC] Ingenue: Anything else that comes our way, of course. Zinda is our guardian angel.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Vroom! >:3
Ingenue: "I detect no additional incoming volleys. This location is safe n… this location is less dangerous now."
The remaining two tree-fortresses do not yet show any sign of significant outward attention. One of them appears to be drilling for more resources; the other is focused inward, judging by its energy distribution as suggested by infrared scans.
Spyboy Pearson: "It might be time for a more…focused investigation."
Alexander Morello: "Agreed. I think we're going to need to learn more if we're going to stand a chance of coming out of this alive."
[OOC] Abraham: fudge 3;to remove 'BRB' on self.
[OOC] Ingenue: Looks like you failed. Succeed at cost?
Abraham: "The ideal situation would be to… establish nations. Create borders and remove a lot of need for war as long as everyone stays in their own territory. They are capable of conversations, diplomacy can't be too far past that."
Ingenue: "One aberrant mutation is somewhat capable of conversation. It may benefit to arrange for that mutation to become the next evolutionary state."
Alexander Morello: "They're still going to need to compete over resources, and that still doesn't solve the issue of us being on a collision course for another planet."
Abraham: "Trade isn't really that far beyond diplomacy, if it doesn't precede it."
Ingenue: "There is a high probability said mutation is located in the fortress displaying the heightened levels of infrared energy."
Abraham: "Well then, let's go talk to the wood elf."
Zinda Tegram: "Want me up here or down there?"
Spyboy Pearson: "Copy that, sir."
Spyboy Pearson checks the charge level on his sidearm before the group sets out.
Abraham is concerned that the speaker's appearance might unduly affect Zinda. "Stay up there for now, if for no other reason to make sure another tree fort doesn't attack the one we're in."
[OOC] Ingenue: Did we want to acquire a way to communicate via pheromones first?
Zinda Tegram: "Copy that. Metis…be careful. I'll protect you."
[OOC] Abraham: We /want/ to, but I rather doubt we'd pull it off in a reasonable timeframe. It's part of the reason we're starting with Speaker.
Zinda Tegram does a quick loop.
Abraham: "Everyone ready?"
Alexander Morello: "As I'll ever be."
Ingenue: "Yes."
Zinda Tegram: "Affirmative."
Spyboy Pearson: "Yes."
Abraham: "Okay, let's go."
Abraham leads the group to Speaker's Tree Fort.
[OOC] Abraham: Is the fort far enough away to justify using fighters/vehicles?
[OOC] WC GM: Yes.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: xD
[OOC] Ingenue: Yay! Zoooooom!
[OOC] Abraham: So no gentle hike through the suddenly deforested forest?
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Ooh, could we drive? I actually have points in that! Hahaha
[OOC] Ingenue: You can go hike. I'm getting in a fighter.
[OOC] WC GM: On the one hand, fighters are the most readily available vehicles; on the other, landing would be…difficult.
[OOC] WC GM: As for land vehicle availability - consider that the Roland was never meant to be on the ground.
[OOC] Ingenue: We probably have a few forklifts, and maybe a wheelbarrow?
[OOC] WC GM: Though there are vehicles meant to haul cargo within the hangar, that can be repurposed.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Was it not equipped with vehicles for ground operations at all?
[OOC] WC GM: Though they were never meant for offroad travel.
[OOC] Abraham: Wheelbarrows are for water. What about the shuttles? They can presumably land in a smaller area than a fighter.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: I'd assume them to be bigger, actually, and thus need more room.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda should give Metis flying lessons some time. : 3
[OOC] Ingenue: MWAHAHAHAH…. erm… yes, that would be nice.
[OOC] Abraham: I'd assume they go slower and thus don't need as long a runway to land.
[OOC] WC GM: Shuttle might work if only because you'd only need one.
[OOC] WC GM: Also, these are all VTOL capable.
[OOC] Abraham: Ah.
[OOC] WC GM: Not always recommended for standard operation, but possible.
Abraham: "Metis, can you find us a landing site near the fort? One large enough for the shuttle?"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: The tree forts are uh
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Kind of spooked by our fighters.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Let's take a car.
[OOC] Abraham: If we have one.
Ingenue: "Initiating long range scan."
[OOC] Ingenue: Alertness maneuver to place 'defensible landing site' on a zone near the fortress.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: We don't even have a single offroad surface vehicle?
[OOC] WC GM: Unless you want to rig one up.
The only defensible landing sites are a bit of a hike from the fortress.
Closer in - it is almost like the fortresses expect each other to invade at any moment.
[OOC] Ingenue: How much is a bit? A bit for Metis, or a bit for people who don't have Superb Stamina?
[OOC] WC GM: The latter.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Thankfully, we don't have any interest in this engagement, so we can let them fight if it comes to that.
[OOC] Ingenue: Nooooo, we gotta rescue planty-me!
[OOC] Abraham: If I have to make a land vehicle, it's not going to be a jeep. It's going to be a nuclear equipped walking battletank.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I am interested in 'meat'ing planty-metis. <3
Bunkers, ambush spots, choke points - someone has read them a tactics manual…but there's something about it…
[OOC] WC GM: Tactics check for Ingenue, or anyone looking over Ingenue's analysis.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Tactics to figure out what they're overlooking?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Man, I am commissioning a GiTS spider-tank from the Kilrathi once we get off this flipping rock.
Ingenue: "Potential landing sites are located distant to the fortress. Even for a shuttle, there will be substantial walking distance through inhospitable conditions."
Abraham examines Metis's findings.
Spyboy Pearson rolled up 4dF: + + - - (Base: 6 Total: 6) (Tactics through Nue's eyes)
[OOC] Ingenue: I'll let Michael do that one, though Nue's engaged with the sensors, probably can't bring up the -bridge as well.
Abraham rolled up 4dF: - + 0 - (Base: 3 Total: 2) (Science for Tactics)
[OOC] Ingenue: Isn't your Science Superb (+5)?
This is by-the-book Kilrathi military fortification doctrine.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Skill Sub caps at 3. Without a fate point.
[OOC] Abraham: It is, but using the full score takes an FP.
[OOC] Ingenue: Weren't we explicitly not using that, since we've moved beyond the skill cap Diaspora was meant to work with?
[OOC] Abraham: So it /is/ based on a warhammer map!
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham got a bonus, anyway.
[OOC] Abraham: If we aren't, no one told me and I need to swap my stunts.
[OOC] Abraham: But I can do that after session.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: If skill subs cap at 3 then I have some serious changes to make to Zinda. xD
Emphasis on choke points to slow down large waves of infantry, and open spaces where guards' attention will be focused to make it difficult to sneak by; not so much emphasis on thick armor to resist heavy firepower.
[OOC] Abraham: RAW is yes, skill subs cap at 3. If they don't in this game, I'd kinda like to know.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: That's RAW, and WC doesn't have a houserule for it posted. Besides, the higher skill levels probably get compensated for by the higher FPs.
Spyboy Pearson: "Welp. It'd slow me down. Zinda, not so much."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: So, optimized for the ZvZ matchup.
Abraham: "It's either hike a short distance or take the time to make a decent ground craft. Anyone really against a nice peaceful hike through the woods?"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Not so much ZvP
Spyboy Pearson: "If we need a fast exit, Zinda could vaporize most of their infantry defenses."
[OOC] WC GM: Exactly
Spyboy Pearson: "So we may as well hoof it."
Spyboy Pearson: "Besides, if we take too long they may engineer up some more triple-A."
Abraham: "Everyone in the shuttle then. I'll pilot."
Spyboy Pearson hands Heggy into the shuttle, follows, and straps himself in.
[OOC] Abraham: I'm assuming one shuttle is enough for all of us…
Ingenue dramatically increases the amount of weight in the shuttle.
[OOC] WC GM: It is.
Alexander Morello buckles himself in tightly… last time he was in a shuttle things did not go well.
Abraham takes off and heads towards the fort once everyone's strapped in and ready to go.
The first few moments of flight, through takeoff, are fine, and then…
…soaring over the jungle - unmolested so far, then as the party gets closer…
…the back of Alexander's mind is just starting to get through that there is no danger when a group of flying plants leap up from the treeline, surrounding the shuttle but not firing or blocking it yet.
Abraham: "Interesting. They're sending out the welcoming committee."
Alexander Morello: "Oh… great…"
Spyboy Pearson: "Sounds about right."
Abraham takes no hostile maneuvers and even waves at one of the plants as it passes by the view screen.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Escort for the shuttle but not me?)
[OOC] Abraham: You might be too fast to escort.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: They may know that we're negotiating. Especially since we're headed for a cleared landing.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Maybe.
[OOC] Ingenue: Also, I sent a negotiation bomb, what is better known as a fruit… basket…. maybe that was a bad idea?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Heehee!
[OOC] WC GM: Or they might have seen you destroy a tree fortress single handedly. ;)
[OOC] WC GM: Or even three.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: You sent PLANTS a fruit basket?! They're going to tear us apart!
[OOC] Ingenue: Plants don't have a cannibal taboo! I think.
[OOC] WC GM: Unless they take it as, "Oh, thank you for sending us the children of our enemies, nom nom nom."
[OOC] Alexander Morello: yeah, but they might take it as a threat. 'This is what we do to plants!'
[OOC] Ingenue: Okay, so what is our botanical escort doing?
[OOC] Abraham: Just out of curiosity, are any of us really big salad eaters?
Zinda Tegram allows herself to be escorted, if they try.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Michael is pretty close to vegetarian, and Heggy even closer.
The plants are staying well clear of Zinda. The shuttle's escort swarms in a shifting density around the shuttle, clearly intending to nudge the shuttle in a certain direction or risk collision.
Abraham is filming this.
Said direction leads to a clearing not far from the original intended landing site.
[OOC] WC GM: Filming while piloting?
[OOC] Alexander Morello: That's a ticketable offense on most planets
Ingenue notes the alteration and analyzes the new landing site.
[OOC] Abraham: Dude, there's no other ships in the air in this hemisphere. I think I can avoid collisions.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Ships, no, plants, yes.
The site seems to be directly between the two remaining tree-fortresses.
Abraham: "Metis, do you see anything… unusual about the landing site they want us to land at?"
Spyboy Pearson: "….Huh. The course of diplomacy would indicate that we should land at the new site. Also…I wonder if they BOTH want to talk to us?"
Ingenue: "If we continue on this present course we will land between the two fortresses. This would be a prime spot to visit either location, or to be bombarded equally by both."
Abraham: "Well, we are popular."
Abraham lands at the proposed site.
Alexander Morello: "Just like an antelope is popular with the lions…"
Abraham: "I have never heard of a lion driving an antelope to another Pride."
Abraham lands, but is ready to lift off at a moment's notice should anything… unwarrantedly botanical happen.
Ingenue: "Neither lions nor antelopes have access to social media, which is the standard metric to determine popularity."
Indeed, as the party lands, its escort is abruptly shot to pieces by waiting slitherers.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Well, they're not shooting at us. See what happens?
[OOC] Abraham: ^
Zinda Tegram adjusts her position to support the shuttle slightly, in case ground defense is required.
Alexander Morello: "That's just a GREAT sign."
[OOC] Abraham: A slither knocks on the door. "Hello. Please come out so where we can shoot you. We have cake.
[OOC] Ingenue: You cannot fool me slitherer. Unless you have ice cream. Do you?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I should buy Metis an ice cream maker.
One slitherer slides up to the shuttle's door, bearing a bowl of some white substance.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Oh god really
[OOC] WC GM: Hey, if you want to give the GM ideas… :P
Abraham: "Okay, can anyone identify what's in that bowl? Also, since when do they have bowls?"
[OOC] Ingenue: Look, if these things have mastered a) milking biologics, b) harvesting sugar and c) getting it cold enough to make ice cream, I declare them fully sapient and protected by…. whatever laws protect sapients.
Zinda Tegram: "Well, on my optics it looks…like a bowl of ice cream."
[OOC] Abraham: Damn straight.
Zinda Tegram: "It's coming up cold on IR, too."
Alexander Morello: "I could tell you what it is if I could get a sample."
Ingenue perks. "Where?"
The substance could be melted ice cream…but this is difficult to tell on a pure optical inspection, especially from a distance.
[OOC] Abraham: Thanks Zinda. We really needed Ingenue to rip off the shuttle door.
Zinda Tegram: "I mean I can't really get a good shot of it, but…"
[OOC] WC GM: Harvesting sugar is not a problem for them. Milking…well, biological production is what they're all about, no?
[OOC] WC GM: As for temperature…
Abraham: "Well, I'm curious, and it is rather hot out here. Let's go meet the local flora."
Alexander Morello: "Maybe it's a house warming gift…."
Abraham stands up and steps out of the shuttle.
Alexander Morello follows Abraham.
Abraham: "I hope not. I have no intention of homesteading on this planet."
Ingenue peers at the bowl offered by the plants that murdered their escort and yet bring ice cream.
[OOC] Abraham: but did they bring spoons?
The contents are decidedly liquid.
Zinda Tegram: "Metis…please be careful."
The slitherer offers up - the bowl is clearly makeshift, fashioned out of bark and leaves.
Alexander Morello reaches into his bag and retrieves a vial.
Ingenue sighs, then carefully analyzes the liquid before drinking because MOM.
Alexander Morello shrugs as Ingenue seems to have beaten him to it.
It is not ice cream. This much is immediately evident. What it is…
[OOC] Ingenue: I'd think that sensor analysis can only do so much without contact.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Pheromone soup?
Ingenue: "…."
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah, I'm assuming Ingenue's doing contact analysis, the old fashioned alchemist way.
Abraham: "It's not… flowing… like melted ice cream…"
Ingenue: "[The ice cream is a lie.]"
Zinda Tegram stifles a laugh as that comes through the neutrino radio.
It is a honey-sap concoction, base and crude but nutritious. Just a hint of iron, to give it a blood taste, added like a spice.
At least it is not poisonous.
[OOC] Abraham: Though I have to wonder if Metis can be poisoned. By something besides a computer virus and the like.
[OOC] Ingenue: Silly plants, they should have added copper. Though to most people, metal is metal and they can't tell the difference.
Ingenue: "This is a nutrient liquid with trace metals added, perhaps to simulate the flavor of blood that carnivores crave." [robotic sigh]
[OOC] WC GM: Referring to biological poisons there. I.e.: safe for the other PCs to eat.
[OOC] WC GM: There's a reason they added iron, specifically.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ah.
Spyboy Pearson: "Carnivores don't crave blood. Salt, maybe, blood, not for flavor."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Well…drink it I guess!
Alexander Morello takes a sample of the liquid and tests it for any sort of toxin or poison that would effect us carnivores.
Zinda Tegram: "OK, good job. You can drink it now, Metis."
Ingenue: "No reason, now…"
Another slitherer slides up, shoving the first aside. The first shoves back. This one, too, offers up a bowl, this holding a red liquid.
Abraham: "Really? Personally I love juicy steaks."
Alexander finds no poison in the sampled liquid.
Spyboy Pearson: "Not for flavor, though - not the flavor of blood, anyway. It's the fat, and the fact that the meat hasn't toughened and I really don't want to be talking about eating animal life in front of a bunch of walking plants."
Alexander Morello: "Well, looks like it's safe to consume."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Hold on.
Spyboy Pearson is currently being restrained by Heggy. Ingenue can pick up a rapid back-and-forth argument.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Are they asking for an alliance?
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Could be.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Asking who we're with?
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Maybe.
The party picks up a scent from the red liquid. Fruity, yet a bit foul.
Alexander Morello samples the new liquid, looking for anything to differentiate it from the first.
The red liquid proves to be wood alcohol, mixed with fruit juice. Easily at least 100 proof.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: We need more information.
Alexander Morello: "Wow. That's strong stuff."
Spyboy Pearson: "Yeah, I can smell the methanol from here."
Spyboy Pearson: "Careful with that. You'll go blind."
Spyboy Pearson: "Aaaaand now I find myself wondering why they brought drinks for adults and drinks for children."
Alexander Morello: "I wonder if their choices of… gifts can tell us anything about the difference between the two factions?"
[OOC] WC GM: Culture/Tech if anyone wants to analyze?
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: - - - 0 (Base: 3 Total: 0) ((Culture/Tech to describe crazy plant cultures and oh look, we're through the looking glass….))
[OOC] Ingenue: And Chessa's back.
[OOC] Abraham: I really should get Culture/Tech. Sociology is almost a science.
[OOC] WC GM: Or Archaeology or any social-sciences.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Me too…
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Pls tag
Spyboy Pearson rolled up 4dF: - - - + (Base: 3 Total: 1) (Culture/Tech here)
[OOC] Ingenue: I'll tag 'evidential database for a reroll and instead make that Archeology.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: - - - 0 (Base: 5 Total: 2) ((The first archeology roll!))
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: We also have the, uh, pheromone data.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: We collected.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: New Chessa is unhappy.
[OOC] Ingenue: …wow Chessa. Just… wow.
[OOC] Abraham: Clearly this is a job for 'Profession: Jazz'
[OOC] Abraham: I told you she'd gone feral.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: I'll tag 'Already Sized Up the Tactical Situation,' then.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: I guess science isn't specific enough?
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: For +2.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Cold grey eyes tag?
[OOC] WC GM: Science…eh, I'll allow it at a penalty.
Alexander Morello rolled up 4dF: 0 0 - 0 (Base: 5 Total: 4) (Science! It's like sociology, but cold and heartless.)
Abraham rolled up 4dF: - - + - (Base: 5 Total: 3) (Science… at a penalty)
[OOC] Ingenue: Could; might as well, second tag for a reroll because I feel like gambling!
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: WTF Chessa
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: + + 0 + (Base: 5 Total: 8) ((THIRD TIME IS THE….))
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + - + - (Base: 2 Total: 2) (Culture Tech)
[OOC] Ingenue: And as agreed, Chessa, twelve souls are in the mail.
[OOC] Abraham: This is pretty standard Chessa honestly.
Clearly these were recently made. Clearly these are gifts.
[OOC] Abraham: I've been in session long fights where, playing the combat-wombat with a 90% chance to hit, I didn't hit a single time.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ouch.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Well, let's eat.
Ingenue: "This is a distinct alteration in previously known patterns of behavior, and these 'gifts' are designed for Kilrathi biology."
More slitherers slide up, arms wide, almost like they are looking to grapple.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Or hug
Abraham: "I'm not surprised. That red stuff sort of smells like Kilrathi Cademinar. Which is Kilrathi Rotgut."
Alexander Morello: "Well, it would be rude to turn them down, eh?"
Ingenue: "It is a possibility that the two fortresses may attempt to squabble for our 'affection'. Observational evidence raises this possibility to 98%."
Zinda Tegram: "I suppose. They might think we're, uh, Kilrathi."
Alexander Morello: "There are worse things to be mistaken for."
Ingenue: "Possible. They have had limited biological contact and if they are intelligent, it is likely they employ heuristics. Thus, biological lifeform equals kilrathi."
Spyboy Pearson: "Huh. I'm a bit surprised, but only a bit."
Spyboy Pearson: "And by that I mean we look similar visually, but not chemically."
Alexander Morello: "So, what'll it be, which do we pick? Or do we try both?"
A familiar voice echoes from one side. "#Friiiends…#"
Abraham: "Both. And we share with both groups."
Spyboy Pearson turns.
And is immediately echoed from the other. "#Friiiends…#"
Spyboy Pearson turns back
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Is it Nue's voice?
Sure enough, there are now two Speakers, one at each side of the clearing.
Alexander Morello: "Well that's kind of disconcerting."
Ingenue claps. "In stereo! They have become so clever."
Spyboy Pearson: "What are they saying?"
Ingenue: "Friends!"
Spyboy Pearson: "Do we believe them?"
[OOC] Abraham: Oh god, it's Nobody Dies Rei!
The slitherers move in to hug! And to pull the party away - half in one direction, half in the other.
[OOC] Ingenue: Though Michael can probably just listen in on the neu-comm, because Neu does translate kilrah.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Aww.
Alexander Morello: "I think we have to pick."
[OOC] Ingenue: Has Zinda landed?
Abraham: "I think that would be extraordinarily bad."
[OOC] WC GM: Reactions to the hugs? And if none, to being pulled in both directions?
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: "Oh god! It's like subtitles in my brain!"
[OOC] Ingenue: That can never be turned off!
Alexander Morello: "Well if we don't they're going to rip us in half."
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: "How many Call of Cthulhu characters does it take to change a light bulb? ALL OF THEM! DON'T BREAK UP THE PARTY!"
The Speakers frown, and raise their voice in unmistakably angry tones. "FRIENDS!"
Abraham makes certain to hug both faction equally. "Don't let them split us up. We need them to get together."
Ingenue: "That does not seem to require a translation."
Alexander Morello carefully engages in hug diplomacy.
[OOC] WC GM: Alexander's got it. It's not 2 PCs one way, 2 the other. It's half of each party member in each direction, is the apparent likely result if nothing's done.
[OOC] Ingenue: Are they exerting enough pressure to even move Metis, much less damage the frame?
[OOC] WC GM: They're lifting Metis off the ground. Damaging is another story.
[OOC] Ingenue: ….guys, these are some fecking strong plants. Suggest evasive maneuvers.
Abraham makes three loud claps for attention, and points at both speakers before making 'come here' gestures with his hands.
[OOC] Abraham: That's 'come here' in Nephilim sign languate, naturally.
Abraham finds his arms too tied up to clap just now.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: TACTICAL HUGGING ACTION.
[OOC] WC GM: It's basically a mosh pit of hugging now.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ouch, so it's like a quake hug match.
Spyboy Pearson: "Oh, no you don't!"
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Compel on 'Leave Her Alone, ASSHOLE'…?
[OOC] Abraham: We need some hugido to make them hug each other.
[OOC] WC GM: Go for it.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Is anyone free enough to pick a drink?
Ingenue: "Clever, but limited. These drones do not have the capability to detect if they inflict damage."
Spyboy Pearson can feel Heggy's pain through the neutrino comm. His own adrenaline pulls into high gear and he rips one of his arms free. Then he punches one of the slitherers holding Heggy. Right in the face. Just not….very well.
[OOC] WC GM: You'll have to wriggle to do it - it'll take a check of appropriate skill.
[OOC] WC GM: But doable.
Spyboy Pearson rolled up 4dF: - - - 0 (Base: 0 Total: -3) (Hand-to-hand)
[OOC] WC GM: …yeah, not very well.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Bwahahahahah)
[OOC] Ingenue: Does untrained carry a -1 in this version?
Alexander Morello tries to make his way back to the drink offerings.
[OOC] WC GM: Nah. Not by this point, anyway.
[OOC] Abraham: Pretty sure that's a botch. Might want to spend a FP and reroll.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: I believe Diaspora skills are 0 for untrained, anyway.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Abraham
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Abraham; and cancel rolling it in the first place? =D
Ingenue flexes the frame's servos, testing the plants' resiliency. ((Use stamina to place 'not so tough' on the slitherers))
The Speakers begin advancing, this time echoing Spyboy. "Oh, no you don't!"
Zinda Tegram furiously scans through her fighter-computer's kilrathi phrase book.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: 0 - + 0 (Base: 5 Total: 5) ((Stamina maneuver; yes, they exist))
[OOC] Ingenue: Spyboy, stop giving them words.
Alexander Morello quickly examines the two offereings… which will it be….
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + + + - (Base: 1 Total: 3) (Computer, to place "I can totally speak Kilrah" on self.)
Zinda uplinks a Kilrathi communication program from the Roland's databanks. It is not the best quality, but it will do in a pinch.
[OOC] Ingenue: Doesn't that phrase book mostly have taunts?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Maybe!
The plants are tough - but not nearly as tough as Ingenue's frame. Tougher than the flesh of the rest of the party, though.
Zinda Tegram flips to the section on Kilrathi lovers and keys in…
Zinda Tegram: "#Please be gentle!#"
To Abraham's and Ingenue's ears, it comes out as, "#Please be kind!#"
Abraham pauses in his struggles. "That sounds like Kilrathi. I believe Zinda just said she was made of cottage cheese."
Alexander Morello: "Anyone have any opinions on which which faction to pick?"
Zinda Tegram: "Uh, neither, preferably."
Abraham: "Both if we can pull it off."
Zinda Tegram: "Same answer here, really."
Alexander Morello: "I think that may end up with us torn in half."
The Speakers pause in their advance, cocking their heads.
Spyboy Pearson: "I'd rather it not go to shooting right now, though."
Speakers: "#Friiiends?#"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: The plural!
Ingenue: "#Friends.#"
Zinda Tegram brings up the section on numbers…
Zinda Tegram: "#3 Friends?# Maybe? If we want them to get the idea?"
Speakers: "#Friiiends!#" The plants release the party as the Speakers run up.
Ingenue: "[I've certainly done something now haven't I.]"
Alexander Morello: "That was close."
Spyboy Pearson: "[Yeah, well, it's what I've come to expect.]"
Ingenue's sensors note that the Speakers are making a beeline for the android, and will meet at the frame's present location in a few seconds.
[OOC] Spyboy Pearson: Impact in three, two….
[OOC] Ingenue: They're going to hug nue.
[OOC] WC GM: Any reaction?
[OOC] Abraham: Either that or try a Fusion technique
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Hug them back!
[OOC] WC GM: That does seem like their plan.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: Hug like you've never hugged before!
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Make friends your own age!
[OOC] Ingenue: It really depends on their definition of 'hug'… is it 'hug', 'glomp', 'tackle', 'crush'?
[OOC] Ingenue: That can only be found out, empirically, so….
[OOC] WC GM: They seem to be moving at too high velocity for just "hug".
Ingenue braces for impact.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Probably something between tackle and crush. But not maliciously.
The two Speakers pouncegreet Ingenue at the same moment!
[OOC] Ingenue: Something between over-eager kitten and 'st bernard that thinks its a lapdog'.
For every reaction, there is an equal and opposite reaction. A basic law of kinetics.
[OOC] Abraham: Nu. Duck.
Ingenue's momentum does not measurably change.
Speakers: "#FRIIIENDS!#"
Abraham: "Are you in there Metis?"
[OOC] Ingenue: muffled] "All systems operational."
Alexander Morello carefully approaches the Ingenue/Plant clump.
Zinda Tegram follows the mood and reduces the power on her weapons.
Zinda Tegram: "Making friends down there, dear?"
Ingenue: "#Affirmative; friends.#"
Ingenue: "Maybe? While pressure thresholds are within acceptable measures, it seems that this version of 'friendliness' would be uncomfortable for those with biological frames."
The Speakers stand up and start trying - ineffectually - to haul Ingenue and the other Speaker away.
[OOC] Ingenue: Wait… they're trying to take me home with them?
[OOC] WC GM: Yes.
[OOC] Ingenue: ….how heavy are they?
[OOC] WC GM: Far less than Ingenue. Thus, "ineffectually".
Abraham: "Nu, can you get them to talk to each other?"
[OOC] WC GM: Indeed, they're lighter than a normal human child that size would be.
Ingenue lowers its center of gravity… repositions… then lifts both the speakers.
Ingenue: "I have samples. Has a location for analysis been determined?"
Ingenue: "That is uncertain; it is not evident whether they actually speak or merely imitate the language."
Ingenue: "#Where do you want to go?#"
Abraham: "True, they do seem to have a very… focused… vocabulary."
Alexander Morello: "I'm not sure how they'll react to kidnapping."
Abraham: "The doctor is right. Let's try to avoid introducing new and exciting crimes to a fledging sapient species."
Alexander Morello: "What a time to not know Kilrathi."
Zinda Tegram: "No kidding."
The Speakers are quite surprised to be in the air. Their feet work, trying to find the ground.
Ingenue: "But they are not children. It is not 'kidnapping'. It is simply relocating them to another location with or without their consent."
Alexander Morello: "Plant-napping, then. It may be perceived as hostile."
Ingenue: "Oh very well."
Abraham: "And they have trees."
Ingenue sets the speakers back down, though does not back away from any attempted tackle-hug-glomping.
Abraham: "Still, you have shown them a demonstration of… strength…. They might be more willing to try new ideas now."
Alexander Morello attempts to mimic the Kilrathi word for 'friends' while gesturing as if to suggest that the Speakers should let go of Ingenue.
[OOC] Ingenue: Whenever we get the Roland flying again… remedial courses in kilrathi for everyone.
The Speakers blink, pausing for a few seconds, then comply, now standing and staring at Alexander.
Ingenue: "#Where do you wish to go?#"
[OOC] Ingenue: When they presented the two different bowls, was each sample of food from a different faction, or did one faction present both types of food?
[OOC] Alexander Morello: I think it was one from each faction, they were fighting over us.
[OOC] WC GM: Each was from a different faction.
[OOC] Ingenue: Okay, we now have the booze faction and the fake ice cream faction. They have names!
Abraham: "Let's stay here for now. It seems to be a neutral demilitarized zone, and probably the best we are going to find to teach them diplomacy."
[OOC] WC GM: Judging by angle of arrival, the booze faction is the drilling tree-fortress, while the honey faction is the one that was "interrogating" Kilrathi.
[OOC] Alexander Morello: I vote for the boozers. I don't like the honey faction's idea of interrogation.
Speakers: "#Go?#"
Abraham: "Well, let's start by getting each to partake of the other faction's gift."
Ingenue: "…a 25% solution of ethanol can kill plants."
Abraham: "Hm… so these were specifically made for us then? So much for that idea."
Spyboy Pearson: "No ethanol in that stuff, it's methanol."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Please explain what go means. "#Move. Travel. Destination.#"
Ingenue: "A 30% solution of methanol is sometimes effective in plant growth, but is toxic to biologics."
Ingenue: "The effects of a 50% solution are unknown ((It was 100 proof, right?))" .
[OOC] Alexander Morello: yeah
[OOC] Ingenue: Its a response to Nue's question 'where do you want to go?'
[OOC] Alexander Morello: but it did come back as non-toxic
[OOC] Ingenue: I don't think they have that word.
[OOC] WC GM: They have that word now.
[OOC] WC GM: Copied from Nue.
[OOC] Ingenue: That doesn't mean the word has meaning to them.
[OOC] WC GM: And yeah, 100 proof.
[OOC] Ingenue: This…. is a bad idea.
Ingenue points towards one fortress. #Go?# Then, to the other. #Go?#
[OOC] WC GM: It's otherwise non-toxic to humans and lago.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Point to our place and ask too?
The Speakers' heads move to follow. After a moment, they chime, "#Go!#" Latching on to Ingenue, they try to proceed to their homes again - with predictable (zero) results.
[OOC] Ingenue: Point that out IC!
Zinda Tegram: "Umm, since they both want to go to their homes, maybe the Roland could be a sort of, uh, compromise?"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Plus, once we have them there we can give them names.
Abraham: "Good idea. Metis, ask them if they're willing to go to The Roland."
Ingenue: "…ah. Yes. That would make more sense."
[OOC] Abraham: And nametags! 'Fake Ice Cream' and 'The Booze Squad'
Ingenue turns, slowly, so as not to throw them around, to point towards the Roland's location. "#Go!#"
[OOC] Ingenue: That's meant to sound more upbeat than commanding.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I was thinking 'speaker' in different languages. : P
A bit of hesitation - processing? - then the Speakers echo, "#Go!#" And begin trying to haul Ingenue toward the Roland - still not getting anywhere, even cooperating.
Alexander Morello: "I think you can probably pick them up now without causing too much offense, Ingenue."
Abraham: "They're enthusiastic, I gotta give them that."
Ingenue: "It appears I will need to meet you at the Roland's location…."
Abraham: "Have fun with your new Friends."
Zinda Tegram: "Play nice!"
Zinda Tegram reaches over turns the volume on her neutrino radio up.
[OOC] Ingenue: I'm gathering the shuttle will get back before Nue does.
[OOC] WC GM: Quite.
[OOC] Ingenue: On the other hand, get to interrogate two new beings and map the terrain…. Bonus!
Zinda Tegram raises altitude and proceeds to keep an eye on her daughter.
[OOC] Abraham: And mommy has Hellfire missiles.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Yes. Yes she does.
[OOC] Ingenue: Please don't burn me up Zinda, that's chld abuse even when I have metal skin.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: It's for your own good honey. You'll thank me when you're older.
[OOC] Ingenue: Does this also hurt you more than it hurts me?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Though actually I think the Sterne Lanze doesn't carry any missile payload.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Indeed it does! Indeed it does.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License