Session 3 3

And so the party escapes their various initial encounters and regroups. One of Mayor Thanes' aides asked Abraham to let him know when he could stop by for the screening, and how many guests he would bring.
[OOC] Abraham: Is that last bit happening now?
[OOC] WC GM: No. You've been asked to give the notice, but the aide knew you wouldn't have the information until after you'd regrouped.
[OOC] WC GM: So, the request was to send the notice once you could.
[OOC] Abraham: Ah.
Michael Pearson: "How'd the meeting with the governor go, Admiral?"
Abraham: "About as well as can be expected. We've been invited to a lunch. Or rather, I have been and I am expected to bring 'photogenic guests'."
Abraham gives Spyboy a mock appraising gaze. "You look like you could clean up nice, do you want to go?"
Michael Pearson grimaces
[OOC] Abraham: The gaze had a lisp.
Michael Pearson: "I think I hate this planet."
Abraham: "Well, that didn't take long. What brought that on?"
Michael Pearson: "The cameras. Everywhere. It makes me twitch."
Michael Pearson: "They didn't ask for me and Heggy specifically, did they?"
Michael Pearson crosses his fingers
Zinda Tegram: "They said photogenic. I think that means not me, heh."
Ingenue: "Photogenic guests?"
[OOC] WC GM: One session actually on the planet is enough for PCs to start forming strong opinions of it. GMing success, check. :)
Abraham: "No, just asked now many guests I would be bringing."
Zinda Tegram: "Ah, I see."
Hrrin: "You're considerably -striking-, Tegram. You may apply after all."
Zinda Tegram: "Why thank you Hrrin."
Alexander chuckles at Hrrin's choice of adjectives.
Abraham: "'Photogenic' literally means 'pleasing to see in a photograph'. It's usually a euphemism for pretty, but some otherwise pretty people do look horrible in photographs."
Zinda Tegram looks at Ingenue. "Do you want to come?"
[OOC] WC GM: And yes, Torchy has its own fan club. Or rather, that line of boarding torches is becoming somewhat iconic to certain types of protagonists in the dramas produced around here. Close enough.
Ingenue: "'Pretty' is subjective assessment, and does not conform to any objective scale. How does one determine… oh yes, please."
Zinda Tegram: "Good girl."
[OOC] Hrrin: Oh goodness.
Abraham: "Well, that's one. Any other takers?"
Alexander: "Sure, why not."
Michael Pearson: "Rather not, and with Metis there I'll be there in spirit."
Hrrin: "They'll feel snubbed if I'm absent, I expect."
B-4 grabs Michael by the shoulder. Her fingers dig in.
Michael Pearson: "We'd love to go."
Ingenue observes the subtle interactions between Michael and B4. How curious. Logged for further analysis.
Abraham: "I believe that's everyone. Is tomorrow acceptable to all of you?"
Hrrin nods.
Alexander shrugs
Ingenue: "That is correct."
Abraham: "Very well then, I will inform the mayor's office."
Abraham goes off to do that very thing.
It takes but a phone call, and two minutes later the deed is done.
This leaves about a day until lunch and the screening. What does the party do in the mean time?
Abraham: "Okay, I would deeply appreciate it if all of you would try to avoid doing anything that will get us kicked off the planet until after this luncheon."
Michael Pearson: "…..Idea!"
Heggy *thwaps* her husband.
Hrrin: Hrrin smiles wryly. "I will try."
[OOC] Ingenue: ….oh dear, I heard that in Rarity's voice. My image of Spyboy is ruined forever.
[OOC] Michael Pearson: It was actually in Simon Pegg's voice.
[OOC] Abraham: Ruined? Or Made-over?
Alexander: "I'd like to examine… uh, Metis, if we have time."
Zinda Tegram: "Is that OK with you, Metis?"
Ingenue: "It is."
Zinda Tegram: "I don't have a problem, Alexander."
Alexander looks around for a table to set up on.
Alexander: "Good, let's find a place to get started."
Ingenue: "Of course. What manner of analysis will you be performing?"
Hrrin perks. Another look at the AI's inner workings, huzzah.
Alexander: "It's a simple personality test, hold on."
Alexander takes a device out of his bag, it has a bellows, and an actuated arm that unfolds from the device.
Alexander: "Please look into the device."
[OOC] WC GM: There are all sorts of tables at cafes, but I suspect you're looking for something more private?
[OOC] Alexander: oh, yeah.
[OOC] Ingenue: Doesn't everyone do personality tests at the local coffee shop?
Ingenue looks into the device.
[OOC] WC GM: The best option for that is a rental workshop. Industrial feel, but privacy so people can't spy on your gadgetry as you make it.
[OOC] Alexander: that works.
Alexander examines a small screen on his side of the device.
Alexander: "You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down."
Alexander: "You see a tortoise, it's crawling towards you."
Alexander: "You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping."
Alexander looks at Ingenue expectantly.
Alexander: "Why aren't you helping, Metis?"
Ingenue: "Because the stated parameter is that this unit is not helping."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Snnrk
Alexander examines the readings of the device.
[OOC] Alexander: should I roll for that?
[OOC] Ingenue: Reading generated: Android could become killbot at any moment, run fleshbag, run.
[OOC] Abraham: Reading the readings should be automatic. /Interpreting/ the readings OTOH…
[OOC] WC GM: That.
[OOC] Alexander: That?
[OOC] WC GM: Check vs. whichever skill seems relevant, as usual.
[OOC] WC GM: "That" = "what Abraham just said OOCly"
[OOC] Abraham: You need to see if Ingenue OOC was also accurate.
Alexander rolled up 4dF: 0 - + 0 (Base: 4 Total: 4)
[OOC] WC GM: Which skill?
[OOC] Alexander: sorry, science
[OOC] Ingenue: Ren, if you mean 'did Nue answer honestly', lying isn't something the unit is capable of yet, that's a learned process.
Hrrin hides a smile behind her hand. Classic Kampf.
[OOC] Abraham: No I mean if 'Nue's guess of what the readings said was accurate.
Zinda Tegram twitches a bit in response to the turtle question. Of course she'd be helping!
[OOC] Ingenue: Poor Zinda. Never underestimate the power of setting a flag…
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Yeah, hehe. xD
Alexander: "Uh… Metis, you're supposed to interpret the story and come up with a reason why you aren't helping. Or say how it makes you feel."
Ingenue: "Clarification of stated term: Helping in what manner?"
Alexander: "Aiding the tortoise."
Ingenue: "This requires… conjecture?"
Alexander: "Yes, I suppose you could call it conjecture. Imagination."
Ingenue frowns. "Then, within the hypothetical scenario, this unit is not aiding because… it represents an opportunity for… gathering data?"
Alexander: "And gathering data is worth the death of the tortoise?"
Ingenue: "Gathering data is the primary directive of this unit. There are no directives associated with tortoises and no given reason to generate sub-directives."
Zinda Tegram frowns a sad frown. "I see."
Alexander: "So, let's say that instead of a tortoise… it's a person. At the bottom of a pit. You could help them, but at moderate risk to yourself. But without your help, the person will die."
Ingenue: "Primary directive is to gather data. People represent potential for data cascades. The directive against self-termination is a subordinate-directive inferred from the primary directive. The primary directive dictates that the person would be saved as they offer less data potential when dead."
Alexander hmmmms
[OOC] Abraham: A medical man would hmmmm at that.
Hrrin: "…I'd have made turtle soup, myself. There's good eating on one of those."
Hrrin: "The deserts of Kilrah were harsh. I'd not turn down the meal."
There is, in fact, an exotic foods market across the street, which seems like it might have ingredients for turtle soup. The rental workshop certainly has equipment that could be used as a makeshift stove.
Alexander packs up the Voight-Kampff device.
Alexander: "Well, that's about it."
Ingenue: "Tortoises are tasty?" Nue ponders. "Taste is a new source of data. Can we go back to the tortoise?"
Alexander: "Uh… sure, I suppose."
Alexander: "Although I'd think that tortoises wouldn't quite be as tasty as turtles."
Hrrin: "In fact…"
Ingenue: "Ah. It is not necessary then."
Hrrin makes a quick trip across said street, and back.
Alexander: "Do you have any questions, Metis?"
Ingenue: "Several."
Alexander: "Ask away."
Hrrin returns with two bags, one transparent and containing something shelled.
Hrrin: "Tegram, can I trust you with a knife?"
Zinda Tegram: "Uh, why couldn't you?"
Ingenue: "What is the purpose of the device? What was the purpose of the hypothetical scenarios? Why are turtles tasty, but tortoises are not? What was inside the device? Why was the subject altered from tortoises to people? What is the purpose of biological life?"
Hrrin: "Good. Chop these." Three lumpy white-and-blue…vegetables? Tubers?-are pushed into Zinda's hands.
Zinda Tegram: "Umm, s-sure…"
Zinda Tegram holds the…objects…above her. What…?
Hrrin: "Pieces about the size of your thumb, square. You can leave the skin on, but pick out any spots that look purplish."
Alexander: "This is called a Voight-Kampff machine, it tests for emotional responses using autonomic reactions to questions. And the questions are designed to provoke the emotional response."
[OOC] Ingenue: Spots that look… purplish? This is an ominous meal. Or delicious. Possibly both.
Ingenue: "This unit does not have processes devoted to emotions."
Michael Pearson: "Does it work on her? I'm not sure she has autonomic reactions."
Alexander: "And the tortoise is a metaphor, an example, for an ethical situation that, in most mammalian species, provokes an emotional response. I substituted a human to up the ante, so to speak."
[OOC] WC GM: It's delinous? Omicious?
[OOC] Ingenue: Since you're the GM… yes, if you say so.
Alexander: "And no one really knows the answer to your last question. Perhaps finding the answer is the purpose?"
Zinda Tegram looks to the ceiling.
Zinda Tegram: "H-hey…Metis?"
Zinda Tegram: "What if that tortoise was me?"
Alexander looks expectantly at Metis.
Ingenue: "Then Zinda would be saved."
Alexander: "What makes Zinda different from a tortoise? No offense."
Zinda Tegram: "What if you'd already collect all my data?"
Ingenue: "There are no primary directives associated with tortoises."
Zinda Tegram makes a sharp chop at the vegetable as she says that.
Hrrin steps about the workshop, repurposing heat sources, crucibles, and printing a tool or three if needed. Now, is there…yes! Yes, there -is- instant ramen here. Good. Tortoise is de-shelled, cubed, and browned.
Ingenue: "Zinda would not be saved due to acquiring data. Zinda would be saved because… Zinda would be saved."
Alexander: "What about… Abraham? Or me?"
Zinda Tegram: "I see…thanks."
Alexander: "Or Michael and Heggy?"
Ingenue: "Abraham is necessary for the efficient running of the Roland and thus would be saved. Alexander… there are no records within memory. However, conversation with Zinda and Michael reveal that Alexander is to be placed on the same level of importance as Michael, Abraham and Hrrin, and thus would be saved. B4 and Michael are a unit. One cannot be saved unless the other is also saved."
Michael Pearson blinks
Michael Pearson: "I have no idea how to respond to that."
Alexander: "Mmhmm…. so… their purpose is important. What is Zinda's key purpose?"
Ingenue: "…that information cannot adequately be expressed via vocal synthesizer."
Zinda Tegram relaxes visibly.
Alexander: "Make an attempt."
Hrrin 's ears are laid back, following the conversation as she dumps the turtle carcass, shell and all, into the little crucible.
Ingenue: "…010011010110010101110100011010010111001100100000011011000110100101101011011001010111001100100000010110100110100101101110011001000110000100101110…"
[OOC] Abraham: Quick translation: "Eat at Joes"
[OOC] Alexander: does anyone have a device that can decode binary?
[OOC] Hrrin: workshop!
[OOC] Ingenue: http://www.roubaixinteractive.com/PlayGround/Binary_Conversion/Binary_To_Text.asp
[OOC] Alexander: Already done OOC, but IC….
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Dar!
[OOC] Ingenue: Your arm has a computer in it, doesn't it?
[OOC] Ingenue: At worst, spend a fp for a declaration.
[OOC] WC GM: IC - workshop. Communicators. You have devices available.
[OOC] Michael Pearson: If not, Michael has a computer.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Oh my geeeeez adorableness
Alexander: "Michael, do you have anything that can decode binary?"
[OOC] WC GM: For the benefit of those reading the logs, if that link doesn't work: "Metis likes Zinda."
Michael Pearson: "Sure, but why would you think my computer would be better at decoding binary than Metis?"
[OOC] Alexander: and the arm is a very sensitive issue with Alex
Alexander shrugs
Alexander: "Can you… translate that for us, Metis?"
Zinda Tegram: "I think it's fine."
Zinda Tegram: "C'mon Metis, let's watch some television."
[OOC] Ingenue: IC, the actual binary string would be much longer; the conversion used a) saves us from a logspam of 0s and 1s and b) conveys the intent adequately.
[OOC] WC GM: And the phrasing even after translation would be awkward, right? The point being that Ingenue doesn't have the words for the concept?
[OOC] Ingenue: It would probably be an image, with some associated audio, and I'm not going to look for one and do a binary conversion, cause that'd be obnoxious in the post..
[OOC] Ingenue: Yeah, that.
Alexander makes sure he recorded the binary string.
[OOC] Ingenue: Michael/B4 would be getting the intent all over the Nue comm, and also some general unease because 'like' isn't something the unit is designed for, but there it is anyways.
Ingenue looks up at Zinda and nods, walking off with "What is television?"
Alexander leans back in his chair and exhales.
Zinda Tegram: "It's a box that uh, receives transmitted visual information and displays it.
Zinda Tegram walks over to the TV and presses the conveniently marked power button on the side.
[OOC] Abraham: and audio
[OOC] Alexander: And sometimes even olfactory
This being the media capital of the sector, there are a LOT of channels to choose from, not to mention the pre-recorded/on-demand content.
[OOC] WC GM: And sometimes tactile as well.
Abraham is off doing administrative type stuff in his office. Which is a euphemism for paperwork ((but his office is cushy, so doing paperwork knocks off six percent upkeep.))
[OOC] Abraham: But not taste? This Food channel is a rip!
[OOC] WC GM: Taste too. And the Integrated have even tried making content using their sixth sense.
[OOC] WC GM: So - is the party doing anything else of note before lunch the next day?
Zinda Tegram glances over at her daughter, hopefully suitably distracted, and phones Geoffrey.
[OOC] Abraham: Not really.
Alexander goes over the data.
Zinda Tegram: "Geoffrey, I've got an order of Schwarze Lanzii coming in."
Geoffrey: "They came in. We figured it was you."
[OOC] Ingenue: We've revealed that Nue isn't going to flip out and murder the party (unless appropriately compelled by the GM). Yay plot!
Zinda Tegram: "I don't really trust the seller too much, so be careful with them."
Zinda Tegram: "How many? He said the order would take him a while."
Geoffrey: "Of course. They're going to take some work before they're spaceworthy."
Geoffrey: "Two. The courier said to expect another couple around dawn."
Zinda Tegram: "Alright."
Geoffrey: "I assume he meant dawn, capital city time."
Zinda Tegram: "$How are the men taking it?$"
Geoffrey: "$Like a slice of home.$"
Zinda Tegram: "$That's good. The confed shit isn't worthy of our pilots anyways. Oh, one last thing. Was that you with the smoke bombs earlier?$"
Geoffrey: "$But we've been busy with interview requests. You do NOT want to know how rabid some of your fans get.$"
Geoffrey: "$Of course it was.$" Zinda can hear the pride in his voice.
Zinda Tegram: "$You do great work, thanks. And you'll have to forward me some of the mail some time.$"
Geoffrey: "$Careful your little girl doesn't get ahold of it. It's, well, a lot of data, from a certain point of view.$"
Zinda Tegram: "$I was gonna teach her to fly the Star-Lance actually.$"
Geoffrey: "$I meant your fanmail.$"
Zinda Tegram: "$Haha, oh.$"
Zinda Tegram: "$Well, we'll see. Zinda out.$"
[OOC] WC GM: So what are Michael and Heggy doing?
[OOC] Michael Pearson: If we can do it from the ground, probably supervising the anti-cloak sensor refit.
[OOC] Michael Pearson: Actually, their fighter's on the ground and it's probably the first one to get the upgrade, so installing that and conferring with the ground crew about the install for the rest.
GroundCrewTech: "Lieutenant Pearson? I've got an order for some cloakbusters - says here I'm to install on your fighter first?"
The technician is a lago, but a quick check confirms not an Integrated.
Michael Pearson: "Sounds about right."
GroundCrewTech: "Alright." He waves his hand, and a small crew get to work. "I gotta ask, though. Y'all using it in-system or what?"
GroundCrewTech: "Y'know, for Salaam."
Michael Pearson: "We'll probably be testing it out a bit, yeah. Why?"
GroundCrewTech: "Y'don't know?" The lago - a female on close inspection, though somewhat androgynous - smiles. "Guess you'll find out."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License