Session 2 8

Battle ahead! Already you can see the occasional flashses of laser pulses and other discharges finding their marks against shields, and here and there a fighter explodes - most of them Confederation, judging by the number of friendly dots on your radar that are going out.
Spyboy quickly estimates the time it will take us to arrive at the battle.
But then, the Nephilims' advantage seems to have been stealth and only stealth; the rate of dots going out diminishes as you approach.
The fighters can be there in about a minute; the Roland, a few minutes more.
Zinda Tegram punches in her launch code, closes her eyes, and leans back to wait for clearance.
Abraham: "Don't stand on ceremony people, launch!"
…and that is clearance.
Abraham: "Do not make me go down there and push."
Spyboy and Heggy follow Zinda and Inguenue out the hatch.
Spyboy: "Hrrin staying belowdecks, I take it?"
Abraham stays on the bridge, as he is not James Tiberious Kirk.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: - 0 + + (Base: 4 Total: 5) (Alertness, assessment. Let's get some target prioritization.)
Hrrin has already launched and is en route.
Target priority would probably be protecting that one shuttle the Nephilim seem to be swarming around.
[OOC] Abraham: Incidently, unless I say oherwise I will constantly be doing my Formation Tactics stunt, giving everyone else +1 Gunnery.
How that shuttle has yet to be vapor is anyone's guess, but the pilot almost seems to know the Nephilims' every trick.
Zinda Tegram fires her afterburners and dives straight down through the chaos to clear the shuttle's tail.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: +1 gunnery? Yum, numbers~
[OOC] Spyboy: You realize saying that is just going to make Zinda assume that Wenser's even more closely connected to the Nephilim
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: I know. But she can't kill him here.
[OOC] Abraham: Arch-enemies are related…
Ingenue is having trouble knowing where to look first, casting its gaze across the entire battlefield and greatly appreciating the fighter's visibility.
[OOC] Abraham: Does Ingenue have more or less the standard human senses? Any radar or telescopic sight or the like?
[OOC] WC GM: Combat round! Initiative order: Zinda/Ingenue, Spyboy, Nephs, Abraham.
[OOC] Abraham: … does that mean they don't get their +1 until my turn?
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham is too far away to fire into the combat for a few rounds, but can do Assessments, Maneuvers, and the like from afar.
[OOC] WC GM: No, they do. You did that before combat.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Oh, OK. : D
[OOC] WC GM: You had enugh time to set it up.
[OOC] Abraham: Ah. Groovy.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + - 0 - (Base: 6 Total: 5) ((Gunnery! Let's split that fighter swarm up, placing the aspect 'Any Formation is Suicide' on them.))
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 + 0 - (Base: 3 Total: 3) (Piloting)
The swarm was not that coherent to begin with, and is easily split.
Zinda Tegram addresses the shuttle on comms as she makes her pass. "Looks like I'm saving you again. Admiral."
[OOC] Abraham: It must be love.
[OOC] Spyboy: Gotta be.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: No! Zinda's already got Alfred! : O
Wenser: "Hello? Who is this?"
Zinda Tegram: "Dame Tegram."
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: - + - - (Base: 4 Total: 2) ((Alertness Maneuver, placing the aspect "I can see the patterns".))
Ingenue, unfortunately, can not quite make out the patterns. This is all too new to the new AI.
[OOC] Ingenue: Give it time.
[OOC] WC GM: Piloting roll of 3 remains on the table until their turn.
[OOC] WC GM: Spyboy!
Heggy follows Zinda in a loose formation, while Spyboy picks up some of the slack for the over-worked and under-trained STC.
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: 0 0 + + (Base: 4 Total: 6) (Tactics to place the aspect "Friendly Fire Support" on the scene)
[OOC] Spyboy: For the record that's 7, I've got +5 for Tactics now
Spyboy knows his stuff, and the STC takes his data feed quite quickly, relaying it to other friendlies.
The Nephilim round upon the new firer upon them, swarming the Sterne Lanze with a hailstorm of fire!
WC GM rolled up 4dF: + - 0 + (Base: 5 Total: 6) (Gunnery + Hailstorm of Fire)
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Alright. Want to take the free-tags next round? I can .fudge 14 if I spend some FP
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: - - 0 + (Base: 5 Total: 4) (Pilot)
[OOC] Spyboy: Yeah, but how much good will that do?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Tagging born in the cockpit.
[OOC] Abraham: Ah. My turn, if you would be so kind.
It's close, but Zinda manages to weave through the storm.
[OOC] WC GM: Yes, your turn. Go for it!
[OOC] Spyboy: Actually the swarms are kinda wierd, so a .fudge 14 may actually be worth it.
Zinda Tegram tries to evade the fire by instinct before glancing back, "Tch! They're good…"
Zinda Tegram: "Well, too late anyways!"
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + + 0 - (Base: 14 Total: 15) ((Gunnery, Heavy Dust Cannons, Friendly Fire Support, Any Formation is suicide, Born in the cockpit.))
Abraham rolled up 4dF: 0 + 0 - (Base: 5 Total: 5) (Resolve Maneuver to place "Help is on the way" on the Shuttle.)
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham's turn first.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Oh derp.
[OOC] WC GM: But the shuttle is not resisting. Though, how does the aspect apply? Morale?
[OOC] Abraham: Morale. Possibly being willing to spend more ammo than if it was on it's own.
[OOC] WC GM: Alright then. So cycle up to Zinda's turn, as rolled…
Zinda Tegram glances from target to target as she steadily drags her line of fire across the broken nephilim formation.
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 0 - - (Base: 7 Total: 5) (Piloting + For The Swarm + Fading In And Out Of Cloak)
There are many Nephilim. They keep dropping back to cloak. That Does Not Matter to Zinda's cannons.
Zinda Tegram: "Like that'll work…Now…."
Zinda Tegram flips over to face the force that fired on her a moment ago.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: End turn.
[OOC] WC GM: Ingenue's turn.
The swarm is much reduced - not destroyed, but easily over half of it just went up in one hail of fire.
Combat almost seems to pause for a moment in acknowledgement.
Almost.
[OOC] Spyboy: If you can spot a pattern to them I may be able to follow up and neutralize their cloaking, Ingenue.
Ingenue studies the panoply of lights and explosions with detached awe. That cloaking technology is especially interesting… how might that work? ((Assessment via stealth?))
[OOC] WC GM: Science, since you're trying to reverse engineer something.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: - + - - (Base: 1 Total: -1) (((Science assessment)))
[OOC] Ingenue: Eh. Nasty Chessa.
[OOC] Abraham: Feel free to radio back and ask Abraham for help.
[OOC] Ingenue: Zinda won't let me touch the controls! *pout*
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Damn straight! xD
[OOC] Abraham: Then ask Spyboy to do it for you.
[OOC] WC GM: Or spend a FP and invoke an aspect to reroll.
[OOC] WC GM: Or, alternately, Spyboy's turn.
[OOC] Ingenue: Not yet.
[OOC] Ingenue: On using an FP.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ah, just, speak up and pout at Zinda. xD She's an ol' softy at heart.
Spyboy remembers how to deal with cloaking - it worked its way into the Confederation AWACS manuals after the first Nephilim incursion. He sets up a predictive tracker mechanism that can be broadcast to the rest of the fleet.
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: 0 + - 0 (Base: 7 Total: 7) (Tactics to place "Cloaking Useless" on the Neph Swarm. Invoking "Spent Months Reading AWACS Doctrine.")
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Nine? Damn. : 3
[OOC] Spyboy: Only seven, unfortunately.
[OOC] Spyboy: But their defense is 5, so.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Oh, wait. Yeah.
[OOC] Abraham: Though I doubt there's any functional difference between a 7 and a 9 in this case…
[OOC] Abraham: Zinda's future aspect of The Law of Large Numbers not withstanding.
[OOC] Spyboy: Nah. Heck, I often target the scene cuz that's supposed to be TN 0.
Predictive trackers are up! They predict - waiiit, that's a swarm detaching to approach the Roland, now that it's near enough!
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 0 - 0 (Base: 3 Total: 2) (Gunnery)
Abraham: "Oh my. I do believe they spotted us. Took them long enough."
[OOC] WC GM: Rolling a defense?
Abraham rolled up 4dF: + + - 0 (Base: 5 Total: 6) (Resolve Defense. That puny fire won't even make the shields flicker.)
[OOC] Abraham: And Chessa agrees.
Indeed, while there are the telltale flashes where the fire bounces off, the shield display does not even dim its outer bar.
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham's turn!
Abraham: "Lay a course for the center of the swarm. Let's try to make sure they decide we're the most important target."
Abraham rolled up 4dF: - + - + (Base: 5 Total: 5) (Resolve on The Roland "The most important target")
[OOC] Abraham: Er… Resolve maneuver on The Roland…
[OOC] WC GM: I assume you are not resisting that maneuver? :P
[OOC] Spyboy: Really though, you've already used that skil.
[OOC] Abraham: Nah…
[OOC] WC GM: Because you *could* roll to defend against it.
[OOC] Abraham: I make coffee with that skill…
[OOC] WC GM: Spyboy: start of his turn = skill uses refresh, no?
[OOC] Spyboy: Fair!
[OOC] WC GM: Anyway, Zinda & Ingenue!
[OOC] Abraham: That was my understanding…
[OOC] Ingenue: Roughly how many Neph are left?
[OOC] Ingenue: Percentage is fine.
[OOC] WC GM: Call it 40%.
Zinda Tegram fires her lateral thrusters, hunting for a hole in the Nephilim fire.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: 0 0 - - (Base: 4 Total: 2) (Alertness, placing 'Impossible Target' on Zinda.)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 + 0 - (Base: 3 Total: 3) (Piloting)
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: It's placed on me, I thought?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: How would they oppose it?
[OOC] WC GM: Who is the target impossible to?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Eh, fair.
While it should be noted that there are major holes in the Nephilim, not to mention their fire, they still have a firing solution upon Zinda…for the moment.
[OOC] WC GM: Ingenue!
[OOC] Ingenue: Have the Neph actually inflicted any damage?
Zinda Tegram: "Tch! Looks like they finally closed that one…."
[OOC] WC GM: Not on the PCs yet.
[OOC] WC GM: All their damage inflicted was before you got here.
[OOC] WC GM: Then again, traffic control did mention the odds of victory would vastly increase upon your arrival.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Tagging 'Cloaks Do Not Matter', which I'm guessing they took as a consequence?
[OOC] WC GM: Actually, Spyboy placed "Cloaking Useless" on them.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ah, not worth it then.
Ingenue is pleased. So much data! It will take hours to parse through it. And all that useful wreckage, just sitting there… But that is not important, yet, as the unit is still in danger. The Neph ships, greatly reduced in number, would have problems covering the same fields of fire. Where are the holes in their defense? ((Tactics, probably?))
[OOC] WC GM: Go for it.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: 0 0 - + (Base: 1 Total: 1) (((Tactics Maneuver: Holes in their defense.)))
[OOC] Ingenue: Tag Child of Lagos for 1 FP; its easy to process the numbers for an AI.
[OOC] WC GM: That only brings it to 3 vs. 3.
[OOC] WC GM: Tagging anything else?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ah, Abraham has some spin right?
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Seems like a good place for it.
[OOC] Ingenue: Stern Lanze's 360 degree cockpit. Allows for best viewing of the battlefield, no sensors needed.
[OOC] WC GM: Why yes he does.
[OOC] Abraham: How do I give it to Ingenue?
[OOC] Abraham: Can I give it to Ingenue?
[OOC] Spyboy: You say 'go ahead and use my spin.'
[OOC] Ingenue: By saying 'I give it to ingenue'. It has to be used before your turn anyways.
[OOC] Spyboy: Nominatively it's because they're off balance due to sucking so bad at attacking you.
[OOC] Abraham: Go ahead and use me spin.
[OOC] Ingenue: Which makes the holes in their defense glaring. So, -1 FP for Child of Lagos, and spin covers it?
[OOC] WC GM: Yep. 4 vs. 3.
[OOC] WC GM: Spyboy!
Ingenue is starting to get the hang of this space combat thing.
[OOC] Ingenue: Its all so much more complex than the history files indicated!
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: You gonna point it out to Zinda? : D
[OOC] Ingenue: Zinda and Spyboy; those are the only ones she can tell without a radio.
Ingenue muses absently. "I wonder if that would be a good place to fire…"
[OOC] WC GM: A radio is available.
[OOC] WC GM: Cockpit mic & speakers.
[OOC] Spyboy: Can't touch the controls or Zinda will kill it. =p
[OOC] Ingenue: Can't touch controls; Zinda's orders. And she was wearing her mean face!
[OOC] WC GM: And probably broadcasting on Confed channels by default.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Raaawr~!
Spyboy focuses on aligning the next set of targets
Zinda Tegram frantically works the peddles, evading some stray Nephilim shot. She seems busy.
B-4 makes a quick strafing run on the swarm.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Heehee! You should totally bother Zinda. : D
[OOC] Abraham: She's not busy or anything…
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: 0 - + 0 (Base: 6 Total: 6) (Gunnery 1, +1 from Companion, tagging "Heavily Modified Fighter" and "Holes in their Defense.")
The Nephilim are down to 30%. Then 25%.
But 1% try to round back upon B^4.
Abraham fights the urge to radio spyboy to congratulate him on his shooting.
WC GM rolled up 4dF: + 0 - - (Base: 3 Total: 2) (Gunnery)
B-4: "Hah! That'll never work!"
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: - + - + (Base: 4 Total: 4) (Piloting)
The 1% can not touch the bunny.
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham!
Abraham: "Pick your targets people and open fire."
Abraham rolled up 4dF: + - 0 + (Base: 5 Total: 6) (Gunnery, +2 from being the most important target.)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 0 - + (Base: 3 Total: 3) (Piloting)
[OOC] Abraham: I assume I do not give myself +1 Gunnery
10% remain…
[OOC] Abraham: Read that as 100% for a second…
[OOC] WC GM: You specified you were giving your allies only, so no.
[OOC] WC GM: Zinda & Ingenue!
Zinda Tegram finally rolls into a safe spot in the firestorm and angles down for her next attack run.
[OOC] Ingenue: Any signs that the Neph are breaking off?
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + + - 0 (Base: 6 Total: 7) (Gunnery. Burn burn burn BURN!)
[OOC] WC GM: No. Breaking *up*, yes, but not off.
Just a few remain…
[OOC] WC GM: Ingenue, then Spyboy!
Ingenue considers. They have lost 90% of their forces.. and still they persist? That implies they are extremely driven. What is it that drives them? ((Culture/Tech Assessment.))
[OOC] Abraham: Assuming they survive Ingenue and Spyboy, I'll probably give them a chance to surrender.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: 0 0 0 - (Base: 1 Total: 0) ((Culture/Tech Assessment))
[OOC] Ingenue: Tag Hybrid Mind; understanding non-tech is much easier when you're based on non-tech.
[OOC] Abraham: Ingenue decides they must want to be boots and luggage.
The last few seem to be making a kamikaze run upon that shuttle. That would be what drives these ones, at least.
Spyboy: "Well, this is as good a time to try it as any."
Spyboy launches a virus he tailored after the last Nephilim fight into the commnet.
[OOC] WC GM: …the Confederation commnet?
[OOC] Spyboy: Uh…not reallly
[OOC] WC GM: You don't have the access to broadcast it over the neutrino comms, unless you can think the virus.
[OOC] Abraham: It's what I was thinking…
[OOC] Ingenue: And the Neph don't seem to be broadcasting? I miss the Kilrah. They'd at least sneer at you.
[OOC] Abraham: ^
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: + 0 - + (Base: 6 Total: 7) (Communications Maneuver to tag "Why do our engines keep shutting down" on the Neph swarm, using the Nephilim frequencies. Tagging "Already Sized Up The Tactical Situation.")
[OOC] WC GM: These Nephs aren't broadcasting on Confed frequencies.
[OOC] Spyboy: Neutrino comms only?
[OOC] Ingenue: They're broadcasting on the neutrino comms?
[OOC] Spyboy: Can we call that a Compel on 'Pfft, EM' then?
[OOC] WC GM: Possibly. You haven't felt brushes from them, but then, you haven't been looking.
[OOC] WC GM: Hmm…
[OOC] WC GM: Doing it as another shout via neutrino comms?
[OOC] Spyboy: Nah, I can't broadcast a virus via that, and don't know the protocols to let it work. Compel would be best - though really it'd balance the fate point I spent on the invoke.
[OOC] Spyboy: *narrates*
Spyboy bites back a snarl as the virus completely fails to take effect. A thought strikes him - back on the Perry Naval Yards, he thought he caught some glimpses of neutrino comms between the Nephilim…
[OOC] WC GM: Go for it.
[OOC] Spyboy: Done.
[OOC] Spyboy: Nephs?
The Nephilim kamikaze that shuttle!
WC GM rolled up 4dF: - - 0 + (Base: 3 Total: 2) (Piloting (attack))
WC GM rolled up 4dF: + + + + (Base: 2 Total: 6) (Piloting (defense))
It does a barrel roll and spins right through!
[OOC] WC GM: Abraham!
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Good roll.
[OOC] Ingenue: So… the Neph failed to even suicide right?
[OOC] WC GM: Correct. And that spin is automatically given to the first PC roll before the Nephs' next turn.
[OOC] Abraham: well, I guess that'd be me
[OOC] Spyboy: Either Wenser's a really good pilot or he knows how to pick them. The former says he's got a big pyramid, though he only rolled 2. The latter says he's good at his job - which we knew.
Abraham: "Show them our broadside. Let's see if we can make them break off the shuttle and come after us."
Abraham rolled up 4dF: - - 0 0 (Base: 4 Total: 2) (Piloting+Spin to place aspect 'The Biggest Target' on The Roland.)
[OOC] Abraham: Chessa says thee nay.
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 0 0 + (Base: 4 Total: 5) (Resolve - No Sell)
Yeah, the few remaining Nephilim are not buying it.
[OOC] Abraham: Ah well.
[OOC] WC GM: Zinda & Ingenue!
[OOC] Abraham: Actually…
Abraham: "Ah well."
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + + - + (Base: 6 Total: 8) (Gunnery)
Zinda Tegram easily blasts the final few Nephilim before falling into formation with Wenser's shuttle.
[OOC] WC GM: Vs. their already-on-the-table 2…
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: …Zinda is scary! : D
Only a couple Nephilim survive that volley…
[OOC] WC GM: Ingenue then Spyboy!
[OOC] WC GM: But yeah, almost done.
[OOC] Abraham: Should I wait for my turn, or can I broadcast a surrender option now?
[OOC] WC GM: You can tell they won't go for it.
Ingenue: "[Such behavior is so curious. Why do they so ardently pursue self-termination?]"
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: - 0 0 - (Base: 1 Total: -1) ((Culture/Tech Assess.))
[OOC] Ingenue: Not worth an FP this time, the subjects are rapidly evaporating.
Abraham: "This is just about over. Prep a space walk team. I want one of their comm systems."
Spyboy has spotted something on his radar.
Spyboy: "Shuttle Tydirian, turn 40 degrees to port on my mark…….Mark!"
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: + + 0 0 (Base: 5 Total: 7) (Tactics Maneuver to place 'Whoops, Missed Our Shot' on the Nephilim.)
[OOC] WC GM: Compel: the shuttle isn't taking Spyboy's orders.
[OOC] Spyboy: Aww.
[OOC] WC GM: Choose another action?
[OOC] Spyboy: Kay.
Shuttle: "This is Admiral Wenser. Don't give me orders, young…Lieutenant!"
Spyboy grimaces as Shuttle Tydirian continues blithely in the targetting path of the Nephilim fighters, but maybe he can still take at least a few of them out of the fight.
Zinda Tegram: "$Damn fool…$"
Spyboy kicks his dish over to a couple fighters and starts pulsing an EM strike.
There are, in fact, only a couple Nephilim fighters remaining.
Spyboy rolled up 4dF: + - - + (Base: 6 Total: 6) (Communications attack vs. Data. Tagging 'Massive Dish' to spread it out.)
WC GM rolled up 4dF: 0 0 0 - (Base: 1 Total: 0) (Engineering)
Spyboy is looking for the throttle controls - if he can break them this'll be good.
The attack works…a little too well. Spyboy sees Wenser stumble, on the video comm, before the shuttle's link winks out. That attack should not have hit the shuttle, but it's going down on uncontrolled atmospheric reentry, just like the tailing fighters.
Said fighters are easily skewered by the ground-to-orbit cannons.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Out of Combat?
[OOC] Abraham: I assume there are no more Neph, so my turn?
Zinda Tegram: "I've got him."
[OOC] WC GM: Combat over, no more turns.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: + + 0 - (Base: 5 Total: 6) (Gunnery, to place "On my tow cable." on the falling shuttle.)
Spyboy: "Retrieve and prepare to quarantine, please."
Zinda Tegram falls after the diving shuttle into the atmosphere.
Spyboy: "But unobtrusively."
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Dives after the falling shuttle I mean.
The shuttle is cabled!
Spyboy: "Captain Bounty, that WAS Admiral Wenser, right?"
Zinda Tegram: "Looks like I finally caught you, Admiral. I have some questions."
Abraham: "Maybe."
Abraham sends out that EVA team.
Spyboy: "Cuz Admiral Wenser knows about my AWACS skills. Knows them very well."
Spyboy: "And…I may have been distracted, but that comm he sent me - it was like he'd never met me before."
Zinda Tegram: "I understand you have an important date with the other admirals. Is your schedule so permitting to give us some time on the Roland, first?"
Abraham: "Wenser has been acting… oddly. I've been working under the assumption he's is operating under Sealed Orders."
There is no response from the shuttle, which is now powered down.
Spyboy: "I'm starting to work under the assumption he's been…replaced."
Abraham: "That to is a possibility. All the more reason to get him in custody."
Zinda Tegram drags the shuttle up to a safe orbit and goes EVA, floating out to the shuttle's canopy and knocking on it with her torch.
This may be the last chance Zinda has to talk to Wenser…personally.
Spyboy: "Zinda, I'm gonna give him a jolt. Watch for any response."
Zinda Tegram: "Let me get a visual, first."
Spyboy: "[This is gonna be loud, Ingenue, Heggy. Watch your…ears?]"
Through the canopy Zinda can see an empty cockpit - with melted uniforms that seem somehow familiar.
Zinda Tegram: "Spyboy, you're gonna wanna see this."
Spyboy links into the feed
Spyboy: "What the…."
Abraham: "What's wrong?"
Zinda Tegram: "Yeah no kidding. Looks like we're dealing with body doubles. Hold on, lemme see what's inside."
Zinda Tegram cuts into the shuttle canopy and checks to see if the controls for the shuttle are locked.
The controls are unlocked, though now registering a hull breach in the canopy.
Emergency pressure suits have deployed for donning - not that anyone else is aboard to need them.
Zinda Tegram initiates a system forensics dump, and passes -all- the system information back to Sterne Lanze.
Spyboy checks scan records to see if the shuttle matches the one Wenser left the Space Hotel in.
Negative. According to the logs, this shuttle has been in Armstrong system for the past several weeks.
Zinda Tegram walks back into the Cabin and starts searching the ship for any clues.
Neither is this the same model of shuttle.
[OOC] Abraham: Is Ingenue with Zinda?
Zinda Tegram: "Abraham, Crown Squadron is commandeering this shuttle, we're perfectly willing to share custody of course."
[OOC] Ingenue: No, still in the Stern Lanze.
This is a smaller one, less armored, for personal transport. Three melted uniforms are all that remain of the former crew.
Spyboy: "Space Traffic Control, where did the Admiral's shuttle come from?"
Zinda Tegram frowns, and checks the ship's rations, and ranks on the uniforms.
Zinda Tegram: "That's odd. Is it replacement, or infection…?"
Zinda Tegram: "Wenser I could see being worth the trouble, but these others…"
The rations are untouched. The ranks…all three bear admirals' tags. And the nametags on all three say "WENSER" .
Abraham: "Acknowledged, Zinda. Though perhaps it should be kept on The Roland at least until forensics has looked it over, just to make sure it doesn't /mysteriously dissappear/."
Zinda Tegram: "You getting this, Spyboy?"
TrafficControl: "The shuttle deployed from the Norfolk, shortly before you arrived."
Spyboy: "Yeah."
Zinda Tegram: "Abraham, you have Crown's full cooperation in this matter, so as we can count on yours when the time comes."
Spyboy: "Acknowledged, STC. Where's the Norfolk at?"
TrafficControl: "Right behind you."
Indeed, it is - though heavily damaged from the battle.
Fortunately, the Nephilim apparently concentrated on the shuttle once it deployed.
Spyboy: "[Shit. What the hell does this mean?]"
[OOC] Spyboy: Out of curiosity, just where is the neutrino radio at?
Zinda Tegram starts hunting through the shuttle, searching for any PDA's or data storage or phones high ranking officers would be expected to have.
[OOC] Ingenue: Back of the head, I think.
[OOC] WC GM: Base of the skull, yeah.
[OOC] Spyboy: No, the portable Elles gave us.
[OOC] WC GM: Ah. Still on the Roland.
[OOC] WC GM: Possibly in Abraham's possession?
Spyboy probes the Norfolk, looking for neutrino signals.
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: 0 + - + (Base: 4 Total: 5) (Alertness. There's -got- to be something else here….anything…)
[OOC] Abraham: Abraham tosses the neutrino radio from hand to hand.
[OOC] Spyboy: So the Captain heard me swearing, I take it.
Zinda finds no such thing - not even the remnants. They are conspicuous by their absence, even. This seems to be a bit too plain.
[OOC] WC GM: Depends if he had it on.
Zinda Tegram: "Damn…well…damn."
Zinda Tegram climbs back out of the canopy, pseudo-welds the canopy plate back into place, and drags the craft back to the Roland.
A quick sweep of the Norfolk finds nothing…wait, back near Engineering, a signal.
Zinda Tegram: "Hey, Kid…you want Data, right?"
???: "[Hello?]"
Ingenue: "[Hello.]"
Spyboy: "[Hello.]"
B4: "[Hi!]"
[OOC] Spyboy: Kid being to Ingenue, right?
???: "[Three of us at once?!? What's going on out there?]"
Spyboy: "[This is gonna sound really wierd, but there aren't any Nephilim on your ship, are there?]"
???: "[Not that I know of. I heard the attack alarms, but I've been holed up in Engineering.]"
Ingenue: ->Zinda: "Acquisition of data is the primary directive of this unit."
Zinda Tegram: "Well, how confident do you think you'd be with data-forensics?"
Zinda Tegram: "I have a lot of data dumps I need to look over, and some help'd be good."
???: "[Hey, you know there's supposed to be a big high meeting going on soon?]"
Spyboy: "Spyboy to Norfolk. Come in, Norfolk."
Spyboy: "[Yeah, I heard about that.]"
???: "[I've been trying to rig some shore leave so I can go watch it, but with the Norfolk this damaged, it's unlikely.]"
Spyboy: "[Know anything about it?]"
Ingenue: "[Who is this? Do your computers contain data of what has happened on the ship?]"
Norfolk: "This is the Norfolk. Be advised, our hangars are inoperable. Do not attempt landing."
B4: "[I may be able to show you what happens.]"
Spyboy: "Copy that, Norfolk, I'm based on the Roland anyway."
???: "[Ah, if you could get me an external view, that'd be great!]"
Spyboy: "Quick question. Is the Admiral aboard?"
Ingenue: ->Zinda: "Data processing is within this unit's capabilities, if given parameters for the forensic processing."
???: "[They gave me the callsign Rab. Their joke, I guess, but I use it.]"
[OOC] Ingenue: brb
B4: "[Yeah, you're not the only one. You want an external view of the ship? For diagnostics, right?]"
Norfolk: "Thanks for the rescue. We were almost vapor."
Rab: "[Yes, please.]"
Zinda Tegram leans back. "Does your directive…do you have to pass on everything you learn to your mom, kid?"
Zinda Tegram looks the AI dead in the eye.
Rab: "[Heh, I'll have to pass this off as having a sense for the ship or something. But it'll be a one time thing.]"
Ingenue: ->Zinda: "There is no explicit directive to pass on data to LAGOS. It may be considered an implied directive under secondary directive of 'Visit once in a while', but the parameters of 'once in a while' were never defined."
B4 cheerfully watches the Norfolk as their fighter does a flyby. She passes the visual feed to Rab.
Spyboy: "I say again, Norfolk, is the Admiral aboard?"
Zinda Tegram: "…I can be a lot more free with you, so long as I can be confident that key data never reaches LAGOS. You…I'll tell you why, eventually, but for now just know that I can't trust her. So."
Zinda Tegram drags a data transfer cable out and hooks it into the system console. "Can you use this?"
Norfolk: "That's a negative. He's groundside. Ahh…it was classified, but it's open now, so I guess I can just tell you. He must've suspected they were going to try to assassinate him."
Norfolk: "Dunno who he got to stand in as doubles for him, but once we launched them on that shuttle, the Nephilim left us alone, thankfully."
Rab: "[Thanks a lot! …maaan, this is worse than I thought. This is going to take weeks to repair!]"
Spyboy: "Copy that, Norfolk. We just got a close look at the shuttle. Looks like they self-destructed when the Nephilim did."
Ingenue: ->Zinda: "Restricted data will be flagged in order to preserve required confidentiality. Yes, that is within this unit's capabilities."
Spyboy: "[Not that Zinda will be any happier with this explanation, but I can see it either way.]"
B4: "[Heh?]"
Spyboy: "[Uh…sorry.]"
Norfolk: "Say WHAT?!?"
Zinda Tegram wordlessly passes the data cable to Ingenue.
Norfolk: "People don't self-destruct!"
[OOC] Abraham: Abraham declines to mention the numerous medial examples of spontaneous human combution, mostly because he's not in the conversation and it would be rude.
Zinda Tegram turns to her console and keys into the salvaged records from hotel station and the salvaged shuttle.
Ingenue accesses the data port in the frame's left arm. "Data link established."
Spyboy: "At a guess? The Admiral identified a few Nephilim infiltrators, convinced them to serve as decoys. The good news is that Nephilim apparently don't have built in communications systems, or they wouldn't have stopped shooting at you to shoot at their own spies."
Norfolk: "Nephilim infiltrators?"
Zinda Tegram: "We need anything on the following subjects: Crest corporation, Admiral Wenser, The Nephilim, Oldziey, Alfred, LAGOS, and any related topics."
Ingenue: "Processing."
Spyboy: "There anyone in cluster you can think of that has the ability to make convincing doubles that include a self-destruct?"
Norfolk: "You mean like androids?"
Zinda Tegram rests her face in her hands. Quiet moments, huh?
Spyboy: "Cuz we can't - that I know of - and the Lagosians can't. So it's gotta be out-cluster."
Zinda Tegram rolled up 4dF: 0 - - - (Base: 4 Total: 1) (Alertness. Zinda spends some time going through them with Ingenue, of course.)
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Chessa!
[OOC] Ingenue: …ow.
[OOC] Abraham: Zinda notices she has arms. Were those there before?
Norfolk: "Come to think of it, Rab down in Damage Control made a few. Nothing that looks like a person, though. Want us to get him on the line?"
Spyboy: "He's made androids?"
Spyboy: "[You can make androids, Rab?]"
Rab: "[A few. I've been toying with some of Elles' prototype designs. Why?]"
Norfolk: "Toys, mainly. We'll summon him to the bridge, just a moment."
Spyboy: "[Do they have a self-destruct?]"
Spyboy: "I'm sure he's busy. I can see the outside of your ship from here."
Zinda Tegram gets a hint from the Norfolk comms conversation. "Spyboy, careful with the information please."
Rab: "[Of course not. …aaand they're calling me to the bridge. Your doing?]"
Spyboy: "[Yyyeah, kinda.]"
Rab: "[Alright. I'm on my way upstairs.]"
Ingenue: "Initial processing of data is complete. Currently, the data is being restructured into a rapid-access database. Restructuring the data for further processing will require several hours. Should Zinda Tegram be alerted when this process is complete?"
Rab: "This is Ensign Rab. How can I help you?"
Zinda Tegram: "Yes, thanks. Don't let anyone else know, except Geoffrey, and he only knows if I'm unavailable."
Zinda Tegram: "Ah, any highlights, kid?"
Spyboy: "Ah, I had a few questions about the androids you make."
Spyboy: "[Yeah, that's me.]"
Zinda Tegram climbs out of the fighter. She has to find Karlt.
Rab: "[You sound different on the radio. Older, and a bit alien.]"
Rab: "[I'd almost swear you were a human.]"
[OOC] Abraham: Spyboy is an old soul.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: LIIIE
Rab: "What about them?"
[OOC] Spyboy: I thought Karlt stayed on the naval yards.
Ingenue: "As of yet, no. Much of the data is alternative viewpoints from events after the installation of the neutrino-communicator within Michael Pearson and B4. Such data is being cross-compared with previous impressions in order to patch the partition errors within primary storage. The remaining data is new, and such will require restructuring before useful data is uncovered."
Karlt was apparently not brought along when the Roland left Mu Cephei, and is back on the shipyard.
Spyboy: "Did Admiral Wenser ever borrow any?"
Zinda Tegram: "After the installation? Shouldn't there be a fair bit from before the installation as well?"
Rab: "Hmm…come to think of it, yeah. A couple weeks ago, he asked me to make a trio - some kind of frame job he was going to have extended for a game. He said it was classified, so I didn't ask further."
Spyboy: "Bingo."
Rab: "Why?"
Spyboy: "Thank you, Ensign."
Rab: "Sure thing."
Rab: "[But seriously, why?]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda's been getting this conversation, yes?
Spyboy: "[Are you sure you want to know?]"
[OOC] Spyboy: The radio side of it, at least.
[OOC] Spyboy: I was about to send her a text.
Rab: "[…if I'm better off not knowing, alright.]"
Spyboy: "[Let's leave it at we've found some seriously worrying stuff - but if the Admiral borrowed your androids that's a much less frightening alternative.]"
Spyboy: "Actually…"
Spyboy: "What do you mean by frame job?"
Zinda Tegram sends Abraham a text. "We may have grounds to commandeer the Norfolk, on account of compromised chain of Command."
Abraham radio's back, "What?!"
Rab: "They were going to be inserted into frames. He gave me the interface specs, but not the frames' specs."
Zinda Tegram: "Get us a secure room. We can talk about it there."
Spyboy: "Ah, I see. I was worried - frame job has another meaning in Confed."
Rab: "Sir? I'm a lago, I'm not familiar with that term."
Abraham: "All right, come to my ready room. I'll meet you there."
Rab: "[…pretending you're a human when I don't *know* you're one of us.]"
Abraham heads to his ready room.
Zinda Tegram sends Geoffrey a message. "I'll need a few guards for a secure meeting with Abraham. Make'em good."
Spyboy: "[Smoothly done.]"
Zinda Tegram heads off to the meeting.
Geoffrey sends a text back, "Use ship security. It'll be less obvious."
Zinda Tegram: "I'd feel more secure with my own men for this one."
Zinda Tegram steps into the room with Abraham.
Zinda sees no one outside the ready room - but the door closes securely.
Abraham waits for the door to be sealed. "Very well, Zinda. Please show me this evidence."
Zinda Tegram: "I found 3 melted body doubles of Admiral Wenser. on that shuttle. The shuttle stopped after Spyboy targeted local Nephilim ships with some type of countermeasure. The shuttle was recently deployed from the Norfolk."
Zinda Tegram: "I suspect Admiral Wenser may no longer be working in humanities best interests."
Abraham nods but says nothing.
[OOC] Spyboy: And the intraparty conflict ramps up.
Zinda Tegram sits down. "If can insinuate the Norfolk command structure has been compromised, we may be able to justify commandeering the Norfolk before the confederation splits apart."
[OOC] WC GM: BTW, has Ingenue been inspecting the shuttle itself, as well as the data? Or has Spyboy?
[OOC] Ingenue: Ingenue has been inspecting anything/everything it can get away with.
Abraham: "What do you mean 'the shuttle stopped'?"
[OOC] WC GM: Alertness from Ingenue, then.
Ingenue rolled up 4dF: - + - 0 (Base: 4 Total: 3) ((Alertness))
[OOC] Abraham: an almost positive roll. Chessa is warming up to Ingenue.
Zinda Tegram: "There is also, of course, reasonable odds the Norfolk is in fact compromised."
Abraham: "Is there any evidence of any of the rest of the command staff being thus compromised? Is Wenser on board?"
Zinda Tegram: "Spyboy found out that Wenser commisioned three androids from an engineer onboard the Norfolk, and also that three body doubles had supposedly left on the shuttle I just dragged in as an 'Assassination decoy'. We believe Wenser is presently planetside."
Zinda Tegram: "Why would you load three doubles onto a decoy craft? Moreover, from what I judged of the shuttle's pilot's skills, it evaded far more fire from the nephilim fighters than such a pilot should be capable of. And, there's one more thing…"
Zinda Tegram: "Only the three doubles were onboard that shuttle. It's a wonder three androids could fly it all."
Ingenue peers curiously over the still intact armor on the once-marines, then silently annotates the relevant sections of the database.
Abraham: "I see, and I concure your assumption that Wenser is planetside is most likely correct. Very well. We will keep a close eye on them. However commendearing the Norfolk would, at best, tip our hand to the Nephilim. No. It would be much better to let them think we are unaware and instead monitor them."
Spyboy is watching the surveillance feed for forensics purposes.
Spyboy: "What was that, Ingenue?"
[OOC] Spyboy: Abraham, you're missing the point. Zinda wants to steal another carrier. She doesn't need a good justification, just *enough.*
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Hahahahaha. MAAAAAYBE
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: But his is a good argument.
[OOC] Abraham: "I do not understand this program 'Absolutely Fabulous' What is it's purpose?"
Zinda Tegram: "Heh…well, you're the one with the resources here. Still, we need to at least get some insurance over there. Is Karlt still on board?"
[OOC] Abraham: Oh he's not missing the point even a little bit. He does have this thing though called 'tact'.
[OOC] Spyboy: Heh.
[OOC] Spyboy: Like I said, the intraparty conflict ramps up a notch. =p
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Abraham and Zinda tend to be on the same level pretty often, I find. We just have very different methods.
Abraham: "I believe we left Karlt at the shipyard. Why?"
[OOC] Spyboy: I didn't say anything about between you and him, Zinda.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Oooh~?
Ingenue turns towards Spyboy. "The shuttle was being remotely piloted. A remote comm bounce seemed to relay from the Confederation Headquarters in the capital city of Armstrong."
Zinda Tegram: "Well, I think it might just be a good idea to keep an eye on them, and he seemed like the right man for the job. Crown Squadron would be far too obvious at the moment."
[OOC] Spyboy: Karlt would be a terrible choice. We have no way to contact him except through the command crew. Rab, on the other hand…
[OOC] Spyboy: Not that Zinda knows about Rab.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda doesn't know Rab.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: But I'm sure Spyboy will tell Abraham.
[OOC] WC GM: What a coincidence: the two PCs that do know about Rab aren't in that room.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: And that IC puzzle falls into place.
Abraham: "Hm… yes. Orzys would stand out on a Confed ship like… well like they do on The Roland. Still I will arrange a transfer to spy on the spies."
[OOC] Spyboy: Yup. But he's apparently out of contact right now.
[OOC] WC GM: Just as planned?
[OOC] Abraham: WC_GM, you gunky!!
Spyboy: "I was actually looking at the marines - what are or were they?"
Zinda Tegram stands up. "You're the one with the resources right now Abraham. I trust we can work together, but remember that timing is critical here. Wait too long, and this valuable chance will slip through our fingers."
Zinda Tegram: "I leave the rest to you."
Zinda Tegram opens the secure door and walks off with her men.
Her men have, in fact, assembled outside during the meeting.
Abraham congratulates himself on successfully averting that little crisis.
Abraham returns to the bridge.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Aww, Zinda is a crisis? : P
Ingenue: ->Spyboy: "They were Nephilim, it seems, melted by acid. There are samples available for further testing. They seem to match records of marines identified at Hotel Cannon. That is a preliminary evaluation only, further analysis is required for accuracy."
Spyboy: "Thank you, Ingenue."
[OOC] Abraham: Frankly it's Torchy I'm worried about. Zinda's just points on Torchy's character sheet.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Hahahahaha. Well, I'm sure it'll turn out fine. : D
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Zinda's more cunning than she seems.
[OOC] Abraham: Some mud I just scraped off my shoe is more cunning than Zinda seems.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Harsh!
[OOC] Ingenue: Yes, but that mud won't be destroying any Neph fighters.
Rab: "[It sure is great to have another three of us around. Here I'd been stuck with the old man for months.]"
[OOC] Abraham: It's just shows how well Zinda hides it. It's a complement.
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: Ah, thanks. xD
Ingenue: "[Old man?]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: But no, Zinda more just wanted to point out that commandeering it was a real option to be considered.
[OOC] Abraham: That had better not be reffearring to me.
Rab: "[Yeah. Hey Wenser, introduce yourself.]"
Wenser: "[…ach, what did I tell ye about radio silence? *sigh* Hello, Spyboy. Hello, B^4.]"
[OOC] Zinda Tegram: MOTHER FUCKER

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License